Houzz Logo Print
wieslaw59

August jewelry

wieslaw59
12 years ago

Summing up August. The biggest August gems this year were:

Phlox Miss Pepper. Look at the foliage:

{{gwi:273151}}

Rudbeckia laciniata Starcadia Razzle Dazzle.It grows only to 120 cm with me and clumps nicely.

{{gwi:273152}}

Phlox amplifolia Minehaha. Look at the foliage:

{{gwi:273153}}

Echinacea Champagne Bubbles. The best white ever.

{{gwi:273154}}

Helenium Flammenrad. The best Helenium in existence. Big, bold , tall, storm proof. Here together with Rudbeckia Herbstsonne (Autumn Sun)

{{gwi:273155}}

Heliopsis Asahi. Unbelievable this year. Foliage dark green and shiny.

{{gwi:273156}}

Agastaches (Black Adder left, Blue Fortune right). They surprised me as being more hardy than I'd thought. While other plants were dying like flies during the winter, they all survived.

{{gwi:273157}}

Lilium lancifolium Flore Pleno. It gives tons of colour and grows where I put it.

{{gwi:273158}}

Sanguisorba Pink Brushes. The most spectacular of them all.

{{gwi:262758}}

Monarda Balance(= Libra). Foliage still clean . Branches galore.

{{gwi:273160}}

Kalimeris Madiva. I'm just so glad I discovered it.

{{gwi:273162}}

Leucanthemum Stina . The best double, stands nicely. Leucanthemums get nailed by the winter. Only Stina, Fiona Coghill and Manhattan survived intact. The rest died or severely damaged

{{gwi:273163}}

Rudbeckia laciniata Goldkugel. Unlike the old Hortensia, this one is a clumper and selfsupporting. Why it is so underused is beyond my imagination. A jewel. 1,5 m tall.

{{gwi:273164}}

Aconitum variegatum paniculatum. The best monkshood for August. Sulfsupporting with clean foliage.

{{gwi:273165}}

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Comments (36)

• eclecticme
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

All I can say is "WOW"

• eclecticme
    12 years ago

These are beautiful photos

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

very enjoyable... wish I had more sun.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Have never seen the sanguisorba pink brushes - it's so unusual! the monkshood and white flowers are a beautiful combo. what is the white - sweet autumn clematis?

great color, healthy plants, lovely combinations, love it!

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, it is just a white Thalictrum delavayi(Album).

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

Very nice!

• anitamo
    12 years ago

Stunning. Most of the cultivars you've named I've never heard of...but am interested. I spotted the hen in one of the photos. How many do you have, and do they roam the gardens eating slugs???

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I have more than 20 hens, and a lot of chicks and youngsters. The old ones are normally in their pens and I let them go outside the garden for half an hour a day.

{{gwi:273166}}
    {{gwi:273167}}
    {{gwi:273168}}

Only youngsters are allowed to roam the garden because they do less damage to the plants.I have to protect some plants, especially hostas. I have not observed live slugs are on their menu, but when killed and dried by sun, then some hens eat them. Some hens eat whole snails.This winter was very hard and killed the slugs. I have not seen a single slug yet this summer.

{{gwi:273170}}
    {{gwi:273171}}

• terrene
    12 years ago

Beautiful gardens! Do you spray your Phlox for mildew or are those resistent cultivars?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, thanks for sharing your beautiful flowers with us.

Annette

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

I really enjoy the plant combinations you put together so well!!
    I'm also curious, in the first picture, what is the pale lavender-blue/white plant to the left of your phlox? Also, what is the neat white plant in front of the monkshood?

• terrene
    12 years ago

Oh...you posted more chickens! Fabulous pics! I did notice the lone chicken in your Monarda pic and thought about how romantic to have a few chickens running around in the garden. Do you think the chickens are more helpful or harmful to the garden? Do they dig up seedlings?

Cracking, the white plant in front of monkshood is Thalictrum delavayi (Album).

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    12 years ago

How long have you had "Sanguisorba Pink Brushes"?

As I understand it is a relatively 'new' introduction....is it even available in North America?

How tall has it grown and any idea on its hardiness?

It looks spectacular.

• arbo_retum
    12 years ago

aside from the lush happy gardens, i must say it is a treat to have someone posting from denmark. i hope you'll add your zone to your moniker so we can compare our own to your experiences. maybe you've lived here or are american? (i noticed your use of 'nailed'!)
    best,
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Crackintheconcrete, it is a monkshood Aconitum 'Bicolor'.

Terrene, they dig up seedlings and young plants, so I only let the old hens go in the garden in winter and late autumn.There are some plants they never eat,but others are in danger.I never spray with anything because I have small chicks running free. I read about plants, which are more resistant to mildew and wind/rain damage, and then buy them. It is not always true. I have several phloxes I have never seen mildew on: Phlox amplifolia Minehaha and Winnetou, Phlox paniculata Miss Pepper, Herbstwalzer, Purpurkuppel and one nameless.Others are highly resistant if the weather is good for them. If a phlox gets mildew very late in the season like late September or October, then it does not bother me. But if a plant is totally white already in July, then out it goes. The worst so far was the old Russian variety Uspech(known also as Laura) which I said goodbye to. Other phloxes I threw out was Dusterlohe(aka Nicky) and Iris: could not stand on its own and I do not have time for staking. I gave one more chance for Blaue Morgen and Drosselbart, but they will go out if they do the same next year.

Here are some more August gems:

Helenium Topaz. While Flammenrad finishes in the end of August, this one sails into September. Very broad and healthy leaves. First class plant.

{{gwi:221860}}

Helianthus decapetalus Soleil d'Or. It can get mildew if too dry. Very long lasting flowers.Clumper and selfsupporting

{{gwi:273172}}

Lilium rosthornii. Like a shorter version of L.henryi, but selfsupporting. Easy and healthy foliage.

{{gwi:273173}}

Lythrum salicaria. This species is selfsterile, so no seedlings if only one clone. 30 year old plant.

{{gwi:273174}}

Helianthus Dorian Roxburgh. A hybrid between Lemon Queen and Sheila's Sunshine. 2 rows of petals and the flowers bigger than Lemon Queen. A knockout.

{{gwi:273175}}

Helenium Vicky. No vices.

{{gwi:221858}}

Veronicastrum virginicum. Bought as 'Erica', but I have doubts because not pink enough.

{{gwi:262777}}

Aconitum Spark's variety. It has to be in full sun and surrounded by tall neighbors. Then it can be considered selfsupporting.

{{gwi:262755}}

Sanguisorba Red Thunder. The flowerheads are countless on this one.

{{gwi:262780}}

Helenium Rubinzwerg. Strong stems and good branching.

{{gwi:221865}}

Enjoy!

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arbo retum, the place where I live is marked temperature wise as zone 7, but we have very little or no snow cover, so I can't keep plants which are not marked as hardy to zone 5 in the US, I think. I can't grow Lobelia cardinalis, Stokesia, Salvia azurea, Asclepias tuberosa and others from the US. This year I have even had damages on hosta crowns and daylilies. One bed of tall bearded iris was totally wiped out except Stepping Out and Spinning Wheel. So you can't compare zones just by comparing numbers. I am not American and have never been there(my wife is afraid of flying).

Rouge21, I have had it for two years. I think all Sanguisorbas are very hardy(except Chocolate Tip, which died from MILDEW ! in my garden). It has grown to about 1 m. It was shaded by a tall neighbor and it has leaned, so I can't tell, whether it is totally selfsupporting or not.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Stellar! I just love your garden wieslaw. Aconitum and Helenium are two of my favorite plants too. It seems the selection of Helenium is much greater in Europe than here. It is a shame, beacause I would love to have a collection as great as yours! I agree with you about 'Spark's Variety' Aconitum. Since moving mine to a sunnier spot it seems much more upright.

Is that Thalictrum delavayi in front of your Aconitum variegatum paniculatum, or some other species?

THANK you for posting your beauties! Can't wait to see more. ;-)
    CMK

• yeonasky
    12 years ago

Tusind tak for den dejlige have billeder. I just can't resist using my little bit of Danish that I know, when I see that someone's from my parents' home land.

I enjoyed the pictures and have tried many of the plants that you have. Unfortunately I've lost many of those plants. Here in Vancouver in BC, Canada, it rains a lot. I think the Kalimeris particularly hated the rain and that's why it just melted away. Too bad. I loved the color and form.

We're allowed up to 5 chickens here, and seeing yours makes me want them all the more.

Yeona

• terrene
    12 years ago

It is interesting that so many cultivars of North American natives are grown in Europe. I love our natives too and have a large back garden that consists almost entirely of plants native to eastern North America, both species and cultivars.

Do you find that any of our natives have become pests in your country? Lythrum salicaria is an example of a beautiful European native that has become an extremely invasive weed in the wetlands, and to a lesser extent the non-wetlands, in the northeast US. It is a beautiful plant, and has superior nectar and pollen for pollinators, but it is a prohibited plant in our state because of its invasiveness.

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christinmk, yes the white Thalictrum is delavayi. I think you can buy seeds at Jelitto's. I think it is only borderline hardy for me. There is one very similar species called Thalictrum rocherbrunianum which is hardier and stands better, but only in lavender colour. You can have thalictrums everywhere, as they occupy no space and do no damage to the plants standing next to them.

I have forgotten about Aster umbellatus.Big clumps are magnificent. Irreplacable for combinations:

{{gwi:262769}}

For those of you who does not have enough sun, some 'shady' beauties:

Helianthus decapetalus Morgensonne(Morning sun)is doing well with morning and evening sun.

{{gwi:273176}}

Clematic heracleifolia Cassandra . Smells of hyacynths.

{{gwi:273177}}

Kirengeshoma palmata.

{{gwi:273178}}

Some red and purple phloxes do better with some shade, as they can burn to white in the sun.

{{gwi:273179}}

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

Very cool. Love the Helenium, and the chickens. ;)

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Terrene, to my knowledge some solidagos and Lupinus polyphyllus spread to the nature. The latter one mainly along rail roads. Other plants only marginally , if at all.

• Cher
    12 years ago

Really beautiful flowers and gardens. You've made some excellent choices and combinations.
    Cher

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Terrene - regarding your question about American natives spreading. Solidago canadensis, Conyza canadensis and Aster species and hybrids (commonly known here as Michaelmas daisies) have naturalised in the UK and are found in the wild. As wieslaw59 says, this is very common along railway lines.

Others eg Helianthus tuberosus, Hemerocallis, Chelone and Parthenocissus quinquifolia grow well but do not spread much because our summers are not hot enough for them to set seed. I can't think of any plants from N America which are considered actually invasive. But we have several from Asia like Rhododendron ponticum, Himalayan balsam, Japanese knotweed and Buddleja.

• franeli
    12 years ago

Beautiful flower photos, wieslaw59!
    I'm inspired to add a few more perennials next spring!

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    12 years ago

How nice to see this thread come up again! Just beautiful! I
    must remember to see it when I have the winter blahs.

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

franeli and sweet betsy, thank you for nice comments. I have shown them to my wife.

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have found some interesting videos with plants blooming in August:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR8VoB4IQms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RHu2OrDzDw&feature=relmfu

I would like you to watch the video from the link below, from 0.06 to 0.11, bottom right corner, the greenish lemon daisy. Do you recognize WHAT IT IS?

Here is a link that might be useful: Do you recognize the plant at 0.06 to 0.11 ?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

How about Echinacea 'Green Jewel'?

• gazania_gw
    12 years ago

It looks like a Helenium to me. Do a Google images search and look at all the pictures that come up. At least a couple different ones have a greenish tinge to the yellow.

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I think it can be an Echinacea. I think it is too short to be a Helenium , and too daisy-like.
    One more video in the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Agastaches

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Oh, my, that garden is stunning!! It makes me wish there were a translation program for videos like there is for web pages . . . I can see spending some time in this set of videos. Is this a public garden that you can visit, wieslaw59?

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nhbabs, this garden is in Germany a little north from Hamburg, and I'm high up north in Denmark (360 km or 4 hours driving). I only understand each 4th word in German, but I can read on his site, that the garden is open to the public each first Sunday from May to October, plus 2 days in June and the 18th of August. The entrance costs 3 Euro.
    As far as I understand, he owns a nursery in the vicinity of the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens of Erich Luer

• User
    12 years ago

mmmmmfabulous thalictrums - mine never last beyond July but my soil is testing for them. Love the heleniums too. What would you recommend for a really good TALL red helenium (My late summer border is drowning in blues and yellows). I love your gardens, Wieslaw, especially against the blue timber building - there is something awfully familiar and reminiscent of the fens in the light - maybe huge skies?

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Campanula, for some reason the majority of the tall heleniums is yellow or orange , and the red ones are medium tall. I have one red that is taller than the others, unfortunately NOID. Of the red ones whose names are known the tallest with me is Indianersommer, and it is only slightly above 1 m with me. I like that one. I started with Moerheim Beauty, which had very beautiful flowers, unfortunately the stems are very thin and can't take our wind+rain combination
    In the link below you can see Dauerbrenner, which is listed as more than 1.5 m tall, but I do not know its sturdiness.

You may also see the catalogues on this address:

http://www.zur-linden-stauden.de/shop/index.html

The catalogues are old but as far as I understand they are still valid(but in German). This nursery produces a lot of their own Heleniums and Phloxes.

Here is a link that might be useful: All Heleniums

• Sammywillt
    10 years ago

~ swoon ~