Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsdlight

Gladiolus seed pods?

mrsdlight
9 years ago

My glads this year made seed pods any one know how I plant the seed? How long will it take to produce a flowering comb?

thanks!

Comments (7)

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

To be honest, if you dig up your plant, you will see many tiny bulblets growing off the main corms - these are more reliable to plant than the seeds which can be a bit tricky. Even so, if you do sow the seeds, they should germinate easily enough next spring (a lot of garden glads have some mixed breeding in their lineage and often have peculiar growing seasons so do not expect immediate germination). I sow all my monocots in a fairly free draining loam and sand (or perlite or grit) mix, planting them out in the garden during their second season of growing in pots. They seem to do better sown in deeper 5inch pots rather than trays. They should reach flowering size in 3-4 years but you will save a year by planting the bulbils. The fine leaves come up like grass - if you leave your bulbs in the ground they will split off themselves and sprout numerous fine shoots next year - these will flower in 2-3 more years.

• logixsti
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest the same thing. Toward the end of the year dig up the existing bulbs, carefully, and youll see lots of little bulbs around it..go with those...lots less work and I believe they get to flowering maturity flower much quicker than would a seed..although I cant say that with 100% certainty as I haven't ever done anything with the seed pods

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

You also can wintersow the seeds.

• mrsdlight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the replies I have never dug up my Gladiolus. They come back every year and produce babies. I bought 1000 corms for about 60 bucks several years ago from fred w nagel & sons. I just hate to see good seed go to waste. This is the first time I have seen them produce seed. I will try winter sowing them. Thanks

• mrsdlight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

double post

This post was edited by MrsDlight on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 14:57

• linlily
    9 years ago

I have a clump of glads that were here when we moved in 7 years ago. It's next to the house, so does probably get some winter protection. It has returned every year, and it produces seeds and some of them planted them selves in another part of the bed. That small clump blooms and has returned for several years. It might be fun to try your seeds just to see what you get. I know that the seeds that "planted themselves" did not take very long to produce blooming size bulbs. The flowers in the new clump are exactly like the other ones in color and size.

Linda

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Ah, yes, now I see. I too cannot bear to 'waste' seed so yep, go right ahead and wintersow in a free-draining mix. Keep us informed - I have never sown gladioli from seed and will be interested in the process.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?