Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rober49

varities of autumn glory sedum

rober49
10 years ago

i've seen autumn glory grow to different heights & bloom in different colors ranging from a pale pink to deep maroon. a while back someone gave me some of the deep maroon colored variety.2 years later it's gone to pink. does the color & size vary with soil conditions or are there actual variations in the species??
ps-i always click on the check here if you want to be notified of replies & i'm never notified. what's the deal?

Comments (10)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Do you mean Sedum 'Autumn Joy'? I've never heard of 'Autumn Glory'. In any case, flower color varies a lot with age and I'm sure conditions. I've also heard there are a lot of mislabeled plants on the market, so you may not have what you think you have. Plus there are a number of newer cultivars with different flowers colors.

Kevin

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Hi there,
    the height varies according to the soil and site condition, the range though is fixed genetically, so a matter of cultivar. There are lots of new varieties on offer. And I read in an description of a white flowered one that it tends to switch/ "re-sport" to the more common pink type. So I guess could happen going from maroon to plain green.

I got different types, and after a very wet spring a very tall one just sprawled around. So I plan to get some more, but definitely shorter, compact varieties.

Have a nice fall, bye, Lin

• rober49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i did a search for both joy of autumn & autumn glory sedum & both came of with photos of pretty much the same plant.
    the pink bloomer seems to be the most common color around here. i found some of the darker one because i saw some once & it seemed to have twice as many honey bees on it as the pink did. the darker one that i planted has gone to pink. since you can change the color of some hydrangeas by chaing the soil ph it got me thinking maybe the same was true for these sedums. i saw some yesterday that was darker pink & knee high. i got some cutting of of it.
    oddly-after mentioning that the e mail notification feature on this site has nevvr worked for me it actually worked for the 1st time ( for me ) on this thread.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I don't care for the flower color of "Autumn Joy", it's too rusty and dull. I much prefer "Brilliant" (bright pink against lighter green leaves) or "Matrona" (soft pink against dusky grey-green foliage). There are lots of sedum on the market, especially easy to find this time of year, so choose one you like. I've never read that flower color changes with soil pH. Re: insects - I made a recent post about this.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I have both Autumn Joy (flopper) and Autumn Fire, and that last one is terrific. The blooms are a better deeper red, and I don't have to keep cutting them back to keep them from flopping. This is Autumn Fire, not yet at peak bloom, but pretty erect considering I didn't shear these all season.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Wow, Autumn Fire is really gorgeous. Is that one plant?

I put a peony ring around Autumn Joy when it's low and it never flops that way. That plant has been in my garden for 20 years and is still going strong...was never divided. I love how the pink changes to rusty pink as it ages.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Susan, no that's several plants, but I don't know how many. That's probably four or five. They were cuttings from the parent plants I had in the front yard and have been in that rock garden for about three years. I think the color os pretty too, and it isn't even done deepening yet.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Susan, no that's several plants, but I don't know how many. That's probably four or five. They were cuttings from the parent plants I had in the front yard and have been in that rock garden for about three years. I think the color os pretty too, and it isn't even done deepening yet.

• rober49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i potted the cuttings that i got yesterday. i'm shameless about begging cuttings or seeds when i spot something that i like. i originally wanted the darker varitey because honey bees seemed more attracted to it. being a beeker i'm always looking for plants that they like.
    mulch mama ( or anyone else )- i'd gladly send you some postage for cuttings if you ever cut yours back.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

a small lesson in nomenclature .... naming rules ...

sedum 'autumn joy' is a named culitvar..

there should be no variation in the plants ... other than perhaps size due to cultural conditions .... [hyper-fertilization being the root evil]

so ... according to nomenclature rules... there are no other varieties ... of autumn joy ....

so your question.. more properly.. is .. what if any other cultivars.. CULTIvated VARietieS .... are there ....

so when you say: i've seen autumn glory grow to different heights & bloom in different colors

the correct response is that you have NOT seen various colors of AUTUMN JOY ... because autumn joy only has one color ... [and i am a little more than confused at someone saying its brilliant pink flowers are dusty .. makes me wonder if the plant that mom has had for 50 years is mislabeled] ..

so we are now offering you other named culitvars... in a spectrum of colors... for you to track down.. because you know the PROPER NAMES of them ...

but alas.. they are not autumn joy ....

you will go far in the garden world.. if you start learning the proper .. full.. latin names.. because that is how you communicate with us.. and the nursery guy .... you dont go in.. and say i want the yellow autumn joy ... because his head wills start spinning .. lol ... oh.. he will take your money.. but who knows what you will get .... but it will not be AJ ....

i hope you enjoyed the learnin.. now back to our normally scheduled program ..

ken

ps: i know exactly what you were trying to ask ....

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!