Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Purple Coneflowers and Black Eyed Susan

mary_max
11 years ago

Do you keep the seed heads on through the winter for the birds? If not how do you prepare these plants for winter. Cut stems off or cut plant down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Comments (6)

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Both of these perennials will reseed themselves all over the place. For that reason I cut mine to the ground in late September. By that time the birds have enjoyed them quite a bit, but I still will have way too many volunteers coming up everywhere in spring to 'weed' out.

• mistascott
    11 years ago

I take a middle road, leaving some on and removing others so that it doesn't re-seed too much yet still provides some winter food.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

I take the middle road too. I have too many seedlings of all stripes, but I don't mind these particular volunteers. I have been able to give lots away and to create big swaths of coneflowers. So I leave them up for the most part, except in areas where I want the garden to be clean to minimize the massive crunch of garden work in the spring.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

I leave the echinaceas up but most of the rudbeckias get cut. All the R. goldsturm gets cut, never planted any of them in the first place and spend a good amount of time ripping the whole plants out when I dead head to control their spread.

I have a bird feeder anyway.

• scottyboipdx
    11 years ago

I love the way they look during winter...especially surround by grasses...and the wildlife in your area will greatly appreciate the seeds during winter. Yes, they will both reseed to a degree...but the seedlings are easily pulled up...so I always vote for leaving them standing over the winter.

• bev1065
    11 years ago

I leave all the seed heads on and do not cut back any stems. I just let nature take its course.