Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you keep a gardeners journal?

Posted by lindaw-cincy 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 20:23

I promised to keep a journal last year, and I never got around to it. This year I am jotting down the things that worked, and did not work. Last year I had cannas, but forgot that the deer ate them-that is until this year when they ate them again. I have a limited amount of plants I can use due to deer. They ate my million belles but I used them in pots this year anyway. This year I tried gerber daisies, and they got eaten too. Liquid Fence does help, but you need to reapply frequently. Of course they ate the hosta, but the LF helped on them too. I had bag worms on my blue spruce, and my carpet roses have a disease. I hope I have better luck next year. Oh, and the deer ate the mimosa down to about 1 foot tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you keep a gardeners journal?

I've kept a weekly list of what's in bloom on and off for years, I find it helpful and usually jot down a few other notes while I'm sitting there.
This year I started a blog and find it keeps a pretty good record of the year, plus it reminds me to take pictures on a regular basis of both the good and the bad. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and so far I'm keeping up with it.

o

A journal is a good idea, but my garden changes too much for me to spend time on one. Too much of the information would be obsolete within six months! I generally take photos regularly, and they get put into folders for future reference. The folders I go through for quick reference.

o

Spreadsheets were made for gardening, weren't they?

o

Nope- I do it all on the computer. Think I mentioned my obsessive garden-related list making on this other thread... link below ;-)
CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Do you keep a JOURNAL?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here