Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l_w_davis

Question about potting a mum and leaving it in shade

l_w_davis
10 years ago

I just want to pot a mum and leave it by my front door, which is fully shaded and only receives indirect light during the day

I rally only want it for the months of october through november

Will it do ok in full shade for a couple of months?

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

absolutely ....

its nearly evergreen.. and nothing is going to die in two months ... from reduced light ...

the the blooming might slow down by then ... but you probably wont notice in that time frame ...

but i would NOT repot it ... just plant it.. pot and all ... then lift out out and throw it all away.. when you are done ...

why stress it.. needlessly ...

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I think a lot will depend on its flowering condition :-)) Mums sold for fall color tend to be very heavily budded - best to purchase them in bud rather than bloom as the flowers tend to go over rapidly. But the development of the buds into flowers is certainly stimulated by sunlight. Excessive shade may very well stunt or abort the flowering.

So you've got this choice to make - a heavily budded plant that may not fully develop its flowering potential in that much shade or one already into its flowering cycle that may not produce for as long as you like (IME, a ready-to-go mum lasts about 2-3 weeks max in bloom).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

yep.. i would pick one.. with one single flower open... to confirm color ...

and enjoy it for a month ...

but i still would not repot it ...

ken