Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linlily

Help Identify these leaves!

linlily
10 years ago

My next door neighbor has this planted in her flower bed and thinks that I may have given it to her. And she did not tag it. I don't remember having it here, but I may have received it in a trade and just passed it along to her due to lack of room here. It is in full sun and growing well but did not bloom yet.

Does anyone recognize these leaves and what perennial they may belong to? Thanks to all of you,
Linda

PS I'm going to make a file of all the plants that I pass along so I can find them when someone asks what I gave them - LOL.

Comments (8)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

The rounded leaves with the scalloped edge remind me of perennial geranium but they're not toothed as I'd expect G. sanguineum to be. They also don't appear to be very tall which is another reason perennial geranium came to mind. Unless someone else has a more exact idea of what they are, you may need to wait a season to identify them.

Did you also post your photo in the Name That Plant forum here on GW? I've read those folks can generally give you an answer sooner than you might get on the Perennials forum.

• linlily
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know what you mean, gardenweed as to the shape of the leaves. My neighbor and I both grow several cranesbills, though, and these don't look like any of those. They remind me of a delphinium too, which I grow two different varieties of. But maybe not quite.

If I don't get an answer here, I will post it on Name That Plant to see if anyone there can help. Thanks so much for responding!
    Linda

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

linda - happy to offer any help I can. I grow a few different cranesbills, including a clumping variety ('Biokovo') as well as 'Rozane' which tends to grow through other nearby perennials. I've decided to let 'Rozane' do her thing since my research indicates it doesn't affect the other plants.

I don't recall delphinium leaves that resembled those in the photo but don't have sufficient experience with delphs to be of much help. Best of luck to you identifying the plant.

• nutmeg4061
    10 years ago

Almost looks like a Heuchera.

• linlily
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It looks "almost" like a lot of plants, which is making it hard for me to figure out what it is. Thanks for responding nutmeg4061. I've now posted the picture on the Name That Plant forum as well.

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Certainly is a pretty leaf - wonder if it makes a pretty flower?

• linlily
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perhaps we will see next year. My neighbor now says that she doesn't think she planted it - thinks it might have come from seeds from birds, which she feeds. I think that is unlikely because she is always weeding her beds.

But, hopefully it will bloom next year and then I can post the flower for an ID!

Linda

• linlily
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perhaps we will see next year. My neighbor now says that she doesn't think she planted it - thinks it might have come from seeds from birds, which she feeds. I think that is unlikely because she is always weeding her beds.

But, hopefully it will bloom next year and then I can post the flower for an ID!

Linda