Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

when to plant self-sown seeds?

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

A friend with a garden gave me (a balcony gardener with potted plants) some seed heads from a Verbena Bonariensis(sp?). I am assuming that if the plants are naturally going to seed now in her garden, that it would make sense that it's also the appropriate time for me to plant them in my pots. Or because I have pots, would there be a difference....should I instead keep the seeds in the fridge and plant them in the Spring?

Tx!

Comments (5)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Verbena bonariensis may not be fully hardy for you as a perennial, so I'd deal with it the same way you deal with half-hardy perennials.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

I have a feeling you could probably do either, but I'm not sure how pot culture would affect the seeds over winter. Pots are more susceptible to swings in temps and moisture levels, but I have a feeling it probably wouldn't affect the seeds. They might sprout earlier next spring in the pots, so you would have to watch them carefully and make sure they have moisture when they do sprout.

Why don't you do both?

The first couple of years I grew this verbena, I always started them inside around March, but then I realized they self-sowed like crazy and there really wasn't any need to do so. The ones started inside did mature and bloom earlier, but that was about the only advantage.

One other thing: Are you sure you want to grow these in pots? I'm having a hard time picturing them growing this way because they grow so tall (over 4 feet), but maybe you're using really big pots.

Kevin

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tx. I did hear that they grow tall but just assumed that in a windowbox, it would naturally limit the root growth and hence the height??

• mistascott
    11 years ago

No, they will get tall even in a small container unless you keep clipping them. With overwintered containers, I always subtract a zone or two in terms of hardiness. Brazilian Verbena probably won't survive a true Zone 6 winter in the ground, let alone in a container. I would hang onto the seeds until Spring.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Here in zone 4 it's a re-seeding annual.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH