Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Random question.. Why do pruners need a sharp point?

Posted by nevermore44 6b (nevermore44@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 21:43

After poking/stabing the side of my index finger periodically through the years....while chopping material down for the compost pile... I began to wonder .. Why do the pruners need a sharp point/tip in the first place?

Now I will admit that attempting to be a speedy human shredding machine (trying to save precious time) doesn't help in the frequency of my self maulings.... But I am contemplating taking a pair to my father in-law's grinder, rounding over the tip, and turning the into a pair of children's safety pruners.

The only thing I can think of where I actually use the sharp point of the pruners is when I need to stab/slice open a bag or something.. But that's it.

Should I get the patent paperwork in order?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Random question.. Why do pruners need a sharp point?

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 1:58

o
RE: Random question.. Why do pruners need a sharp point?

The sharp point of the typical hand pruner is probably a marriage of the best overall pruning features, because homeowners generally do not purchase more than one hand prunner/type. The point allows for close positioning of the pruners to the trunk for cuts, allows better precision for delicate flower trimming, but the sturdy bypass can handle the small branches.

Maybe you would be happier just buying one of the many pruners that do not have sharp points on the tip. :) They are not as common as the typically-seen bypass, but they are out there and readily available online. If the pruner you are talking about are hand pruners (rather than loppers, although loppers are available in different blade styles too), you may want to check out Ratchet Pruner 3/4-inch (RP-3230), anvil pruner (AP-3110), or one of my favorites, a form of grape shear (AG-5030). Snips and grape shears resemble oversized needle-nosed pliers and have rounded tips. The grape shears are great for quick trim work, but not the thick branches. Other gardening tool companies have their own similarly-styled tools.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here