Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Perennial vine for shady area

{{gwi:274175}}

I have this one area of my backyard that remains to be worked. All other parts of my garden have been amended from the play-doh like soil to a rather nice mix now.

But I feel like my back is broken and I walk like my knees don't bend.

So, looking at this one area where it's hard as a rock....I'm hesitant to start amending there if nothing pretty will grow. I'm more inclined to just slay down bricks and call it a day, haha.

It's the northern end of a west facing yard...and really, the sunlight reaches JUST to the far left of this photo for only a couple of hours and then it's done. That said, my yard is pretty bright all day and downright unbearable in the late afternoon....except this little corner.

If something will grow, I'd like to cover that ugly fence with the chicken wire that was put there to keep the neighbor's crazy vines from coming through. I'm guessing only a vine like plant will do that but can anything grow without any direct sunlight? Between the house and a huge balcony up top, the ridiculously deciduous neighbor trees (is that birch?) and a substantial orange tree blocking the western or high noon sun from this part, it really doesn't get any sun. Just three feet in, the sun shines and bakes in the afternoon.

Granted, I have no idea how it will be come summer sun. I can't figure out how high or where the sun will be when the days are longer to save my life.

I'd really like something with flowers. Everything there is so dark and green.

Any ideas?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County