Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spread compost? Or wait til spring?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 22:26

I never got around to spreading the bags of compost (really manure) that I bought this spring.

Should I do it now, or would that encourage soft growth from plants that should be going dormant about now? Most of my gardens are mixed, perennials and bulbs both (lots of lilies especially, plus daffodils and some tulips).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spread compost? Or wait til spring?

do it just before the ground freezes ... when your plants are already dormant ... maybe mid to late oct in z5?????

with spring thaw.. and rains.. it will wash the good stuff into your soil ..

you are spot on on not doing it when the plants are trying to harden off for winter.. that is a real bad time to mess with anything that MIGHT be a fertilizer ... hard to tel with generic bagged manure ...

we want it there for spring..

might want to keep the bags in the garage.. so they arent frozen solid. when you decide to do it.. lol.. been there.. done that..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here