Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Favorite sedums?

I used to let plant snobbery get the best of me and regarded sedums as unfortunate parking lot fodder. My prejudice would not allow my eyes to appreciate their architectural forms or wonderfully late bloom seasons. That is, until I read how popular they are with bees and other pollinators which convinced me to tuck in a few cuttings here and there earlier this spring.

I put in tiny starts of 'Autumn Fire', 'Neon' and 'Matrona', planting them with almost contempt. They not only survived but thrived in the unbearable heat and drought of this summer. Now, they are approaching full bloom and are visited from sunrise to sunset with swarms of happy bees. Of the three, 'Matrona' is probably my favorite so far.

All in all, I have learned a valuable lesson. Just because a plant can thrive in the harshest, most unlikely and inhospitable conditions is no reason to condemn it.

What sedums do you all grow and which ones are your favorites?

Comments (11)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

I have yet to meet a sedum I didn't like. It just depends on what type of plant you're looking for - upright, sprawling, foliage, flowers etc. The "sedum bug" just nailed me, so I'm still exploring, but I absolutely adore them.

'Matrona' is definitively one of my favs so far, but I also adore Sedum repestre 'Angelina' for it's beautiful sprawling, spring green foliage. Mine has never bloomed, but I guess flowers are kind of rare. It's the foliage you grow this one for.

Kevin

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

'Lemon Ball' is even brighter and lighter in color than 'Angelina' creeps less vigorously though....'Angelina' gets ratty after flowering. I could do without the flowers.

I love sedums. Even the old boring standby 'Autumn Joy'

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Angelina has very sparse bloom here in MN, which is fine by me. I love the coppery foliage tips when the weather cools. A couple of new ones for me this year were Thundercloud and Dazzleberry. Dazzleberry was a very vigorous grower and has beautiful deep pink blooms and the foliage is nice too, though you won't see it once it starts blooming. Thundercloud also nice but not as fast growing, white blooms over small dissected leaves. I also planted several minis this year some of which were stellar performers. I have to check the variety names on those.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Of the ground cover sedums, I like some old standbys. In addition to 'Angelina', I like Sedum reflexum 'Blue Spruce' and x 'Vera Jameson'.

tj

• mytime
    11 years ago

Although I like Matrona, I prefer Hab Gray since I planted it. Begins blooming much sooner (as in, this year, Matrona didn't get a chance to bloom, but Hab Gray probably had blossoms for at least a month).

• miclino
    11 years ago

Have sedum purple emperor and variegated autumn charm which is fantastic. Also dazzleberry which was prolific but blooms seemed to disappear quickly in first season.

Another one is sedum lineare denim
    {{gwi:274592}}

Here is Dazzleberry and autumn charm
    {{gwi:274593}}

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Loads of Sedums on sale right now at Santa Rosa Gardens!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedums

• jeff_al
    11 years ago

i like this one called 'ogon' with tiny, rounded leaves. it is practically yellow in spring and goes to a chartreuse during summer. can handle light shade in my hot climate but also performs well in another location with about 6 hours of sun.
    {{gwi:274594}}

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

I think of sedums as the jeans of my garden. I have a few favorite pairs and they're all pretty serviceable but nothing fancy. Ok angelique is a standout and I would love to grow ogon(I don't think it's hardy enough though) but they're still kind of just workclothes. Does that make me a plant snob? I guess.

I did almost add a couple more this fall. They all looked so nice and healthy after the heat of summer that I have to say I was tempted.... but I resisted. Ok so maybe I bought maestro. It's a nice dark leaved upright with bright pink flowers, but my favorite is still AJ.... although neon is bright.

Has anyone grown the party hardy types such as beach party, birthday party, pool party?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I've never met a Sedum I didn't like, although some need a special spot so they don't over-run an area, like dragon's blood. I left them all behind in OH, but I still remember Lida Kense and Bertram Anderson, both with beautiful bluish foliage and pretty pink flower heads.

• scottyboipdx
    11 years ago

I agree with everyone here...there are only a few Sedums I don't care fore. My fave, at the moment is 'Matrona'...those bronze leaves and deep red stems are just gorgeous...especially when backlit. Of the most prostrate forms, 'Angelina' is a winner...and so welcome in winter. 'Blue Spruce' is really nice...and recently, I found a few (to me) variety called 'Blue Carpet', which is the most wonderful shade of blue/purple. Just planted 'Hab Gray', as I was intrigued by the yellow blooms...can't wait to see how it does!
    Oh, here's a post I did on 'Matrona' a while ago!

Here is a link that might be useful: Post on 'Matrona'