Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need a plant that doesn't grow (much)

Posted by ilovemyroses 8 Dallas TX (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 22:47

geez! I am constantly pruning my 'walker's low' catmint, lamb's ear, germander, purple skullcap (not pink, so much!), chives, thyme, and more!

The city lady who oversees such crimes as flowers flowing into the sidewalk has found me a repeat offender, and has a penchant for sending me warnings. So, this weekend I trimmed and trimmed and trimmed and am ready to wave the white flag.

I REALLY need to find some accompaniments to my rose beds, that don't want to be huge...low ground covers that shyly move towards a full look...

Sadly, I love a chock full garden, bursting out the sides, but must contain myself (and my garden) to not continue my crime streak. Any ideas??

ANyone out there with an overzealous officer? Wondering if a regular supply of donuts would help....geez...wish she would spend as much time overseeing the dog poppers!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need a plant that doesn't grow (much)

Maybe something more upright like some small annuals. Some of the plants you mentioned spread more slowly than others. Use those. Actually if you go out and trim every couple of weeks, that should do it.

o

Have you considered hellebore/Lenten rose? They're slow-growing and don't get very large although I wouldn't describe them as a ground cover. Another slow grower is Daphne x burkwoodii 'Carol Mackie.' Hellebore is hardy to Z9; Daphne is hardy to Z8 so both should grow well where you are so long as your soil is to their liking. These are growing in sandy loam in my garden. In my experience Daphne does best when grown on a slope for better drainage.

Both of these are currently growing in my garden and after several years I've observed that neither is bothered by any indigenous pests and are care/maintenance-free.

Pachysandra terminalis might be a good choice for low/slow-growing groundcover.

o

I just added 18 Circus coral bells into my garden. I tucked them under roses and in open spaces. The bright lime green color seemed to brighten up the garden and the repeat seemed to add to the design. I know you will get many excellent suggestions. Lesley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here