Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Variegated sedum

miclino
12 years ago

Have been working on a variegated bed. Got some sedum autumn charm and found this great groundcover sedum at a local nursery called sedum lineare denim jeans. Haven't seen it anywhere else unless its the same as sedum lineare variegatum.

{{gwi:274637}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (26)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Neat looking sedum- have never seen it before. I googled Sedum lineare 'Denim Jeans' and didn't come up with anything, but did with Sedum lineare 'Variegatum'. Could be they just wanted to affix a cutesey name to it to sell better.

By the way, only Lazy S'S farm listed the plant (S. lineare 'Variegatum') as being hardy in zones 4-9, all the rest said say z7-9. What does your tag say? I'm very curious as I may one to find one someday!!
    CMK

• miclino
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it looks different from the pics I've seen of variegatum but I might be wrong. The nursery claims its hardy to our zone 5............

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Denim Jeans sounds bluish in my ears. I cannot see any 'denim jeans' even by a long shot.

I have a comment to affixing 'cutesy name'in English speaking countries: It is just so ANNOYING! Many an old plant comes back after years to Europe with a new name and is being sold as NEW. The list is ever-expanding, just a few: the 'ancient' phlox Dusterlohe came back to Europe as NICKY!!, phlox Uspech(meaning 'good luck' with something) came back as LAURA. The list of chrysanthemums is 'countless', just two I remember right now: German Nebelrose was changed to Emperor of China, Herbstbronze (Autumn Bronze) to Bronze Elegance. This is what I call fraud!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

and if you give wieslaw a shiny nickle/krone .. they will tell you how they really feel .. lol ...

as a collector of conifers.. i feel their pain with multiple names on the same plant..

its a nightmare in the hosta world ....

i had the same thought that something called blue jeans ought to be blue ...

looks like you got a great bargain.. congrats ...

i have never been able to get a variegated autumn joy to hold its variegation.. its genes toward green are very strong.. but i dont know about the one you got.. good luck with that ... keep us posted

ken

• miclino
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree about the name although the reason I think it is different from variegatum is that there is a hint of blue whereas variegatum (from pics) looks more green. Might be my imagination.

How did you know the price Ken! I got em for 99 cents each. If they don't make it, no big deal.

I've planted three sedum autumn charm as well. If they revert to autumn joy I will be very annoyed! The bed also has Hosta patriot, Caryopteris snow fairy, Ivory halo dogwood planted around a Crimson sentry maple with Weigela midnight wine for added contrast. Also a clump of Hakone grass.

Will post pics once its all planted.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

wieslaw59,

What about white washed denim jeans??

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

in fall.. in z5 ... is not the ONLY REASON to be buying garden plants..

the blow out bargain price ...

lol

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

When I lived in OH, I bought variegated Sedums several times and they either died, turned back to plain green, or both.

If I understand the name thing correctly, companies are allowed to trademark a cultivar name whether or not it is actually a plant that is unique to them. Often they are the same as the plants sold by another company under another trademarked name. If one of the trademarked names gets enough popularity, people feel compelled to get 'the real one' from the company that trademarked the name. And there is the "oh here's a different one I can buy" phenomenon.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I have a variegated sedum that is gold and green and has remained stable. No idea of plant name as got it from my sister. It has white blossoms.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Purpleinopp, I do not know American legislation and rules to argue whether it is so or not. But if it is true, than I allow myself to say that I have never heard anything more stupid. I can hardly believe it. Why on Earth thousands of botanists and taxonomists were working through centuries to make it possible for us to identify plants to the level of a clone, when everything can be invalidated by making a rule allowing a 'random moron' (pardon the expression) to change the name of the clone on a whim? All modesty aside, I think my imagination works quite well, but I can't imagine other reasons for this than misleading and cheating consumers on purpose. Because what could it possibly be? I could possibly accept translations of the name (like from Herbstsonne to Autumn Sun) or adjusting spelling to local pronunciation(like in many Japanese or Chinese peony names), but transforming Good Luck! to Laura is too big a stretch for me to swallow.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

mnwsgal, you bring up a good point. I did forget to mention what kind of variegated Sedum. The one I remember reverting and dying was a mostly white plant with green leaf centers that was shaped/sized like autumn joy. I tried it several different years.

miclino's, the Sedum is really cool-looking and I would have gladly given .99 to see if one would survive at my house.

wiselaw, I hear ya. I'm not a fan of it, just trying to relay info. It's all about marketing and capitalism. Since big-box are the primary customers of the growers, the plants are treated as just another commodity within the company's business model. Too much focus on the new or fashion factor instead of the reliable factor. I'm not dogging anyone who loves the newest and/or most unusual plants at all, they get my attention, too. Just saying the producers can be compelled to rush things to market, latch onto any subtle variation, cutesy names, etc...

If you really want to pick this issue apart, I don't think you can do it without bring GMOs into it. When the courts ruled that you can't patent DNA it opened the floodgates for plant producers/sellers to register trademark names which puts gardeners at a bit of a caveat emptor disadvantage if their goal is to collect every variety of something, but the benefit of not allowing some large chemical company to "own corn" far outweighs it.

Just don't get too caught up in the labels. If it has a different habit or looks different to you, it's worth buying. If not, nevermind the different name.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Purpleinopp, I can have a totally opposite problem. Sometimes I look for a similar plant but with better ability to stand up or other trait. If your only choice is to buy from the Internet, you can't assess certain things. Then I choose a plant with a different name. After a short while it turns out, that I've bought exactly the same plant I want to throw out. Then I feel like a fool(and I do not like this feeling)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

My variegated sedum is the same form as Autumn Joy, maybe a bit shorter. It is not a trailing ground cover, though I do have them as well.

• miclino
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the pic of the variegated version of Autumn Joy called Autumn Charm. The flower heads are a creamy white before they open.
    {{gwi:274638}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

There is one rule common for all variegated sedums: they all revert to green rather often, so they must be observed.The green part is more vigorous, sucking the life out of the variegated part. The same applies to plants which are sports with differently coloured flowers. They will revert to pink(something I have read)

• greyandamy
    12 years ago

wieslaw, so if they start to variegate to green, do you quickly cut off the green? And repeat... I have a particular sedum that is almost all green with only a dab of the variegation...Will the variegation then return?

amy

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

amy, it applies to all variegated plants, not only to sedums, that you are supposed to remove green revertants as soon as possible and as deep as possible.I cannot give you guarantee how your plant will react; it can depend how strong it is and how stable the variegation is. You could take a cutting of the variegated part and root it as an assurance(but probably better in the spring, I do not know). I had 2 variegated sedums. Pink Chablis was a pathetic weak plant for me, it did not come back after the first winter. Frosty Morn was growing for several years and made some green shoots now and then. But it was too floppy for me, so I threw it out.

• marquest
    12 years ago

miclino, that was a great price, I love sedum but I have never seen that one so I cannot help you with any info.

I have a very strong sun area that all of them do very good. I have them in rich soil and it makes a strong non-floppy plant. I think these plants have to find the right growing conditions that are not given. If I grow them in a dry environment and where the sun is not as strong I have gotten a week floppy plant.

Frosty Morn gets green sometime and as stated I just pull and plant in an area that I like to have Fall blooms.

Black Jack has stayed black. It likes Morning sun good compost.

I have several non flop when grown in rich soil and full blazing sun. Also I have none change just send out a green stem occasionally.

• judyhi
    12 years ago

Has anyone planted sedum "Coca-cola?"

• ignatz713
    12 years ago

I doubt if anyone is still reading this thread, but I just want to thank all who posted. Interesting on the reversion to green of Autumn Joy. I had a nice bed for TEN of them, and now I will save my money. miclino, I love variegated plants.

But most of all, thank you for the identification of the sedum Black Jack. I was out walking and saw this in someone's front yard, and asked the owner, and not only did she NOT know what the plant was, she so obviously did not CARE. I imagine IT stays black?

I knew it was a sedum but could not find it with Google.

Thank you all. This forum is invaluable.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Ignatz, I do not want to scare you, but Black Jack has rather many bad reviews. It reverts to Matrona quite often, and it burns in hot sun. To top it all off, it also gets mildew.

• miclino
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Autumn joy is not variegated but perhaps you mean autumn charm. Have three plants and only second season but so far retain variegation

• ignatz713
    12 years ago

Autumn Charm, sorry. Thanks, miclino, perhaps it is worth a try.

weislaw59, thank you for the warning on Black Jack.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I have Autumn Charm. I bought one about 3 years ago and it has never been very vigorous and is no bigger than when I bought it 3 years ago. So I went looking for another one and bought a second one last year that looked pretty good. It has come up this spring and looks okay, but again, I don't think it is going to be anywhere near as vigorous as Autumn Joy. It looks like the same size as i was last year. The variegation is nice.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

looks like sedum "sea urchin" to me

• donna_in_sask
    12 years ago

I have Sedum alboroseum Mediovariegatum and it throws out some solid green shoots every year. I pull them out and plant these in a different spot in the garden.