Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Now if That Isn't Somethin'!!!

Posted by arbo_retum z5 WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 23:47

We are in our third yr of being the happy owners of a very unusual variegated plant- a mulberry tree, "Paper Dolls'. Great splotchy deep green and cream variegation. Well, we both noticed a month ago that,per normal, all the fruits had been eaten, but not per normal, a great many of the leaves had disappeared(and no sign of bugs or disease). So yesterday My Love sees a rustling in Paper Dolls and what was up in it and devouring the leaves?? A W______ck!!!(Much like the Scottish Play,we do NOT say the word [so pl se don't! we call it a "W"]. But can you believe it? Last yr. we had rats eating the fruit on a variegated korean dogwood out front, and this yr. we have a W eating mulberry leaves. what the hey?! we have put melon netting around the tree base and hope this will dissuade the thing. A small one but a W nonetheless.
best,
mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Now if That Isn't Somethin'!!!

If a W----ch is the same as a groundhog, I've seen them up in trees. But only to escape my dogs. Never saw one browsing up there.

o

yep, but if you could see the tree, you would see that he ain't been browsin'; he's been on a MISSION!!!
best,
mindy

o

It's really not unusual to see these animals climb trees, either to escape a predator or to find a meal. Nuts, berries, fruit, juicy buds and probably even strips of bark, much like their cousins...squirrels. I'll bet you'd find lots of pictures on the web.

o

well I sure am in the dark! haha

o

If you have plenty of room around your property, someone with a good shotgun or rifle will solve your problem right away.

We had a neighbor who couldn't bring himself to 'clean out' the 'chucks under his garage, and they proceeded to tunnel under lawns, buildings---took over the entire neighborhood! Elderly neighbor fell down into several of his tunnels before he found someone to get rid of the varmints. Those caught with Hav-A-Heart traps were back in the yards before the folks who took them to the 'country' to drop them off could get back home. Good luck! This one sounds well-fed and ready to supply you with endless hours of anguish and entertainment unless you really want to 'fix' the problem.

(Sorry PETA enthusiasts. These things do too much damage to go uncontrolled.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here