Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catkin_gw

Are There Low Growing Sedums To Be Wary Of?

catkin
9 years ago

I thought there was a thread earlier in the year where people voiced dismay over how some had been hard to control. Was it Ken? Eric? Kevin?

Easy to rip up if they get out of bounds is one thing but not being able to control is another!

There are so many pretty ones but don't want them everywhere!

Thanks. Your input is appreciated. Every plant I Google I tack on the word *invasive*. Been caught off guard too many times!

:paranoid catkin:

Comments (11)

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

Angelina (S. rupestre). Lovely, but it will take over your yard.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Unfortunately a lot of the really low ones are aggressive, but, they can work if you curb their outward spread. Some are better behaved like S. spurium 'Tricolor'. There are clumpers like S. kamtchaticum and varieties of. Some of the hybrids like 'Vera Jameson' are a bit taller - 6", but will have good heat tolerance for you. The pic is good old fashioned S. kamtschaticum..

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Sedum acre will sprout from every tiny piece that breaks off, and pieces break off quite easily. It is quite easy to rip out, however.

This post was edited by nhbabs on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 22:25

• Lars
    9 years ago

I like them because I have poor soil, and they will grow anyway. I have not found them to be invasive any more than I want them to be. Much better to have as ground cover than grass, and they look good all year with little water. So far, they have been somewhat slow growing for me, but I treat them as drought plants, and they still seem to do okay.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Many sedums are ground cover plants by nature. The way to look at it is "Are there places I should be wary of planting this sedum" rather than are there sedum's to be wary of. I use two good spreaders to form a solid matt of low growing color under two trees in hard dry soil in full shade. Dry shade is always a difficult growing condition and sedum's fit the bill. Roof gardens are another way people take advantage of the spreaders habit to good effect. Certain types of sedum would be the wrong choice planted in the wrong place, if added to a mixed perennial bed for example, but then that would apply to any ground cover in my opinion unless you choose to spend time controlling them every year.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Sedum 'John Creech' is very handsome and not a galloping Gertie.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I think I'll take my chances with some of them that strike my fancy. I will use them at the very front of the border where I can keep an eye on them.

Galloping Gertie! Love it!

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I agree with some of the comments above. It's almost as if someone has a great yard, then even the sedums or any other plant will take off. But if their yard or particular area is so tough that only sedums/similar plants can survive, and even at that, they may look like they're living but not thriving, then that kind of plant may be OK there.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

I used to have one dry as a bone spot where I could plant ground cover sedum and it would stay short and grew very slowly. All of my ground has been redone so as to hold reasonable moisture and air. If I want to have spots of low growing sedum and I do. I just pop them out of the ground each spring take a piece off and replant or they will take over. I believe in the last 25 years I've tried just about all of them. Give them good soil and a little miosture they cover the ground with gusto. So I agree with gardenper. You can also use a very low container with holes for drainage put your sedum in there and place it where you wish. Lime zinger is a gorgeous low sedum. Have it in pots and the ground. Seem to have dealt well with miosture but is close to water sucking daylilies.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you gardenper and pattyw for sharing your experiences!

It's all in the soil, for sure!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA