Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Pics of your best perennial combos 2012

miclino
11 years ago

Following on a similar thread from last year. Please post pics of your best perennial combos. Rules are the same, must have atleast 3 plants in the picture :) No closeups of flowers only!

I'll start.

Agastache heatwave, centranthus, dahlias and purple fountain grass. The agastache bloomed nonstop from july.

{{gwi:275191}}

Eupatorium pink frost, veronica royal candles and coreopsis showstopper.

{{gwi:275192}}

Stargazer lily, echinacea primadonna and helenium mardi gras

{{gwi:275193}}

Eryngium big blue, double knockout rose and newly planted phlox nora leigh

{{gwi:275195}}

Sedum dazzleberry, sedum autumn charm and gaillardia apricot

{{gwi:274593}}

Comments (37)

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Love the veronica royal candles and coreopsis showstopper! My showstopper just got put into the ground this fall, might have to do some moving in the spring...
    thanks for the photos!

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The veronica was on its second bloom cycle and is very vigorous plant. Just planted this year. The coreopsis is from last year and bloomed for 2 months nonstop atleast.

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What no pics? Too bad this thread had some great pics last year.

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

I'm going to cheat, because I want to play. Apparently, I didn't take any combo pictures of perennials this summer. It wasn't a great year for them this year for some reason.
    Here's the only grouping I can find and you have to look closely to find the perennials in the picture. This is a little shady area that I'm in the process of developing, but though pleasing to me, I found difficult to capture in a photo. Mostly you will see a collection of annuals and houseplants, but in the foreground you will see my new pulmonaria, a vigorous Pacific blue hosta and a new ground cover called mukdenia rossii that I love. It's the one with the large maple type leaf. There's also a little blue mouse ears hosta. I'm hoping the perennials will fill in among the rocks more next year.
    {{gwi:275197}}

• daysquid
    11 years ago

Love this post. Looking forward to lots of inspiration from you experts out there. Thanks miclino -- and your beds are beautiful! Hope to see some part shade/shade pics.

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the link to the thread from last year. Some quality pics there. I was inspired just looking through it again. Hope to get some updates this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011 perennial combo pics

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

Shasta daisy, globe thistle, dwarf delphinium and cone flowers

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I took very few photos and wasn't happy with the picture quality, but there were some combinations that I liked.
    I know I have posted previous years' photos of this combination, which includes Amsonia hubrichtii, Fat Albert blue spruce, Physocarpus opulifolious Coppertina, a gold hosta, and Baptisia australis. They were planted for the foliage, but the flowers look nice as well.
    {{gwi:263537}}From June 5, 2012

I loved this combination of Papaver atlanticum 'Flora Pleno', an unknown catmint and just a little piece of a Penstemon strictus; it was an eyecatcher from the driveway more than 60 feet away.
    {{gwi:275198}}From June 5, 2012

This combination of Peony Festiva Maxima (divided from an original plant in my grandfather's garden) and Globemaster Allium, along with dusty purple stems from an unknown meadow rue is one I love as long as it doesn't rain while the peonies are blooming.
    {{gwi:275199}}From June 5, 2012

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Globe thistle is such a unique looking plant have to try it out

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

miclino, helenium mardi gras is one of my favorites. Yours looks so full right down to the ground. Mine always tends to lose bottom leaves by the time it in full bloom. It is a long bloomer. I also have 2 other varieties, flame, which is red with yellow edges and a yellow one. By end of season they are all looking bare or with brown dried leaves half way down. Maybe the only solution is to plant something in front of them.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

north 53 - coleus are perennials. You aren't too far off!

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mardi gras does have a lot less foliage at the bottom. However with the boxwoods in front, you would never know

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

As Tony the Tiger would say GGGGGRRRREAT!!!! ;-D

-miclino, that variegated Eupatorium is sure awesome. That is one of my favorite plant groups in general though ;-) How long have you had 'Pink Frost'? What do ya' think of it?

-north, your coleus are cool. They are one of my favorite annuals since they are so easy to overwinter and start more of...

-wagonwheel, love all the splashes of blue!

-nhbabs, that last pic of the allium and peony is nice. It is a tried and true combo, but it looks wonderfully fresh and exciting in your garden!

I really didn't get around to taking a whole lot of pics this year, combos or other. Part of it was being so busy at work, the other part was my camera would only turn on when IT felt like it, LOL.

There were a couple other nice combos, but I'm not finding pics of them. Here is a spring combo that I loved- Omphaloides 'Starry Eyes' with a gold leafed spiderwort in the background.
    CMK

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eupatorium pink frost is in its first year and has done well. Will see how it does next year.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

Shasta Becky and Blue Paradise Phlox:
    {{gwi:255701}}

Cosmic Evolution Coreopsis, Shasta Becky, Big Blue Seas Holly, PowWow Wildberry coneflower:

{{gwi:275202}}

Veronica Royal Candles, Torch Lilly, Sweet William Heart Attack:
    {{gwi:275204}}

Shockwave Phlox and Roses and and and...
    {{gwi:275205}}

11 years ago

CMK that is one outstanding picture. Of course the plant is so beautiful but unlike what all too doesnt happen for me is this beauty (flower, outdoor light, focus,...) is captured so well by the photograph.

I need a new camera ;).

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

-rouge, thank you so much! Now that I think of it, that pic was taken with my neighbor's camera. He observed me cursing at my camera (wouldn't turn on AGAIN, even with fresh batteries!!) and let me use his. I really liked it, so may have to think about getting one similar to it next spring...

I'm loving your Kniphofia combo. I would never think of pairing salmon/orange with that dark reddish burgundy (and the pop of blue), but it turned out stellar. ;-)
    CMK

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some great pics there Rouge. After seeing your pics earlier, I got both Eryngium big blue and veronica royal candles. Both outstanding in first season.

11 years ago

I am so pleased to hear they both did well for you miclino in only their first season! You have much to look forward to next summer!

Btw, how many 'Big Blues' and 'Royal Candles' did you plant?

For sure 'Big Blue' is a beautiful plant but I was also so impressed with esteemed GW member wieslaw's 'Forncett' Eryngium. I would love to get one of these in my garden.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

rouge21, is that one Royal Candles plant or several next to each other?

11 years ago

It is one single plant. The picture shown is of a 2nd year RC.

• gringo
    11 years ago

I really like that Eryngium Big Blue. Hope my roots don't die, over winter. The Echinops is great (Did I miss the cv. name?) & I think Echinacea 'Primadonna' is wondersful. Hope my 'Kims' Red Knee High' looks as good as the dark pink shown above. Phlox Blue Pardise is wonderful in the morning light & at its best, or late evening... I'm trying out Blue Ice & Tiara , which is a double white. Had to get another 'Hot Papaya' coneflower, as I was away too long in the summer heat & it was potted..I've more on the way & busy sowing, for a show next summer & can't wait for Scabiosa 'Fama Deep Blue' to do its' thing. Thanks for the inspiration.
    I've still got lots to plant, including Peony Duchess De Nemours & probably too much, still on my list. But, it seems this fall, everyone did their ordering early, so I missed out on a few items & wish I had a Speedwell in blue, like that above, to go along with the pink one I just got locally. I think it might look good paired with oriental poppy 'Coral Reef, from High Country Gardens. Mailorder costs sure does add up, but they don't carry Shasta type daisies such as 'Fiona Coghill', that I could not otherwise get locally.
    So seed ordering is an excellent alternative, but postage from so many sources is becoming ridiculous.I've tried Amazon & EBay,to try & reduce or combine orders but always find something else I want.... I guess that's half the challenge & getting them to grow & creating a great combination for the flowers to coincide is another...
    I give up on Bluestone,as it used to be three in a pack & now you get just one. Well, maybe unless it's something really special!
    Great thread btw

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Like phlox (July 30).

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Daylily Mohawk Chief with rudbeckia hirta

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Rudbeckia hirta with companion plants, including pennisetum rubrum (not, of course, hardy here), some monarda, and daylilies

11 years ago

Lovely low light picture 'Sunny'.

'mantis' I especially like your last picture of 'hirta' with the pennisetum 'rubrum'.

I so like the look of those tall grasses but yet I have none in any of my garden as I always seem to fill the space with something else. I think my lack of tall grasses is in part a reflection of my lack of 'garden maturity' i.e. I put in plants with colourful flowers instead of plants with form and texture (called architectural plants?).

• franeli
    11 years ago

I'll add a photo of plants that gave me a smile early this fall. This past spring I temporarily threw together
    several perennials because I had lost some to winter kill.
    I do believe that I need to rethink the placement of ajuga 'black scallop' next year. I'm not sure about this plant's growth pattern.
    The Ajuga is shown with Heuchera 'Obsidian', Sedum cauticola and a white Thymus serpyllum.

• RI-Mike
    11 years ago

Figured I've been watching you guys post long enough and jump in on this.

Although not as vigorous as I had hoped, the Tomato Soup Coneflower did put on a short display this year and really popped with the Russian Sage in the background and Penstemon Husker Red along side. Hopefully this plant will really be impressive next year, it will be it's third year planted.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

I have really enjoyed the previous plants/flowers post.

This pic was taken on Oct 12, 2012. plantbug

11 years ago

plantbug, that is a beautiful photo.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Some really pretty pictures, especially of Phlox paniculata cultivars!

These are Columbine Mckanas Giants, started from seed 2 year ago and they bloomed nicely this past spring. The bloom overlapped with the Dicentra spectablis. I love pink!

{{gwi:275206}}

• jlee160
    11 years ago

{{gwi:275207}}

11 years ago

The focus on that flower is incredible.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures and combinations!

• coppertop367
    11 years ago

I have really enjoyed looking at all of the pictures above. I have gotten some good ideas on what to buy this year. Last year, the temps here reached 103 and my garden just fizzled out. Hope to do more this coming season.

11 years ago

Last year, the temps here reached 103 and my garden just fizzled out.

With the past two hot, dry summers I have come to very much resent those perennials and annuals requiring daily or even every other day watering to look good.