Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Tried New Coreopsis Cultivars?

arbo_retum
14 years ago

With C.Snowberry,Sienna Sunset,Autumn Blush, would you plse share your experiences?

Thanks much,

Mindy

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/coreopsis.html

Here is a link that might be useful: whiteflowerfarm coreopsis page

Comments (72)

• kowalleka
    14 years ago

My Redshift and Full Moon both survived the winter and are coming in strong. Would definitely recommend either of these. Would like to try Sienna Sunset, but now that I read it is a sport of Creme Brulee, I probably won't. Have had no lluck with that one overwintering here.

• DYH
    14 years ago

Here are the coreopsis varieties that survived my cold and wet winter. I took no extra measures to keep them alive. Just planted and left them alone after a bit of watering upfront.

Autumn Blush (trial plants, tiny plugs sent in September)
    Red Shift
    Creme Brulee (it's been limping along for years)
    Mango Punch (trial plants, tiny plugs sent in September)
    Rum Punch (trial plants, tiny plugs sent in September)

I found my Heaven's Gate from several years ago! I thought it was long gone, but it showed up underneath another perennial last fall and made it through the winter. I'll move it up to it's own place again.

My zagreb haven't emerged. All of the others had green basal foliage all winter.

Cameron

• billums_ms_7b
    14 years ago

Moonbeam returns every year like clockwork.

Snowberry did not return last spring.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I, also, had no luck with Autumn Blush or Creme Brulee, but my Moonbeam and Golden Gain do just fine in well-drained clay and less than full sun. I'm sure they would prefer a sandier type of soil and more sun, if given a choice. These types are all slow to appear above ground in the spring.

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

Update: signs of new growth on 'Red Shift'; nothing yet however on 'Full Moon'. I will be disappointed if it did not make it here.

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

I have an update too: My Moonbeam finally did show up, and it's coming up nicely. Creme Brulee is growing like mad. No blooms on either yet.

I got my Sienna Sunset in the ground, so I'll be able to report on it later this summer. :)

• leafy02
    13 years ago

I have Creme Brulee, planted last year and it looks good so far this spring. I've been afraid to try the new colors I've seen in the catalogs until I see how they do for other people.

I am a friend of the person who named Creme Brulee, and I asked her why she named it that when it isn't remotely brown. She said just because it's her favorite dessert. That was the end of me thinking I could tell colors by names in the plant world ;-)

• ctopher_mi
    13 years ago

I'm surprised by so many people having problems with Creme Brulee. Mine are on a northwestern slope with good, well-draining soil (sandy gravely compost enriched loam) and they come back bigger and better every year. I even kept one in a container over the winter (tipped on its side) and it came back fine. On the flip side, Moonbeam does struggle in that same slope, which I know is because it gets too dry and is dry in the winter too.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I have killed multiple 'Moonbeam' and 'Autumn Blush' so haven't tried any of the others.

I spoke to someone at Terra Nova when I was there for an open garden tour and they said they really require excellent drainage but not drought. My soil is clay though amended and she said she was sure they drowned over winter rather than froze. We have weeks of rain here and then it goes bone dry in August and September.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Heaven's Gate did not return this year.

Creme Brulee, Zagreb, and Moonbeam have been hardy for many years.

• felisar (z5)
    13 years ago

I have tried Creme Brulee on 3 different occasions. No plant survived more than two seasons. Zagreb comes back every year and is a reliable performer for me. Last fall I planted 2 Sienna Sunse. One is showing growth, the other died. We'll see how it does this summer.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Glad to hear that I am not the only one that has trouble growing Creme Brulee.

• loralee
    13 years ago

The moon beam returned for me this year and the good ole standby Early sunrise.
    Do you order your plants on line or buy locally? If you order where do you order from. One year mine arrived in very poor condition and they don't seem to have the newer versions here.

• Campanula UK Z8
    13 years ago

i have never had any of the newer coreopsis cultivars come through a winter - i practically view them as annuals ( expensive ones at that)

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

I planted 6 or 8 'Early Sunrise' last spring, waited anxiously and nothing this spring.It apparently didn't make it through the winter. Darn it I am bummed! Now I don't want to try Coreopsis again.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

Darrell Probst, the famous Epimedium guy, has recently turned his efforts to hybridizing Coreopsis. C. Full Moon, Half Moon, Cosmic Eye, Galaxy, Redshift, Star Cluster, Venus, and Cosmic Evolution are his hybrids. The woman who took over his Epimedium nursery, Garden Vision, is offering them for sale.

Anything from Darrel Probst would be of the highest quality and well tested for hardiness.

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

I planted Coreopsis Baby Sun, last year. I dont know how "new" it is, but so far I havent seen it this spring.
    Tammy

• alina_1
    13 years ago

laceyvail,
    I did not know that Cosmic Eye and Redshift are Probst's hybrids. Thanks for posting this! I bought these two varieties this year and I really hope they will be reliable in my 6/7 zone.

• DYH
    13 years ago

The trial plugs of 'Autumn Blush' made it through our wet winter. They started out as tiny plugs and are now upright, strong and blooming like crazy.

The 'Redshift' is taller, upright, but not yet in bloom. I have the two varieties planted in the same southeast garden bed, separated only by a few other perennials.

Sunny, well-drained soil -- the same growing conditions for my salvias and agastache.

Here is a link that might be useful: coreopsis autumn blush in my garden

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

Update: despite earlier concerns, 'Full Moon' did survive the winter, although was very late to show new spring growth. It is now a decent size and in bloom. I did also notice a few seedlings lying around -- one with smaller flowers, and another with similar-sized but darker flowers -- both in my opinion are inferior to "mama". ;)

'Red Shift' continues to excel.

I recently brought home 'Sienna Sunset' to plant.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cool, how do you tell diff between autumn blush and red shift, when in early stages? i got an unnamed one at lowe's today, light yellow w/ red corona around center.

i've google imaged both kinds and they seem to have the possibility of looking identical.
    th you for your help,
    mindy

http://www.gardencrossings.com/_ccLib/image/plants/DETA-469.jpg

http://www.pioneergardens.com/images/Coreopsis%20Redshift%20070808%20004a.jpg

• billums_ms_7b
    13 years ago

Snowberry did not return for me despite being in zone 8.

• DYH
    13 years ago

I grow both coreopsis 'Redshift' and 'Autumn Blush' side-by-side because I received AB directly from TN to trial in my gardens. They are planted on the southeast side of my garden.

My 'Redshift' were purchased from a local nursery and planted as gallon pots last summer.
    100% survival through winter in my garden
    now over 36" tall, loaded with blooms and straight
    start out as light butter yellow blooms and small burgundy eye
    begin to bloom in mid-summer in my zone 7b garden.

'Autumn Blush' were planted as small cell plugs in September 09.
    100% survival through winter in my zone 7b garden.
    24+" high and have been blooming since spring, so deadheading may be necessary by midsummer to keep plants straight.
    start out in spring as butter yellow, are now peach-yellow with a larger burgundy eye.

They will both turn to a mix of yellow and burgundy in the cooler fall temps.
    It's difficult to post photos for true colors and comparison because they are at different sequences in the bloom cycle. I do think that the 'Redshift' starts out more buttery, but you can see my photo up in the thread that those gradually turn peachy when the burgundy bleeds into the yellow.

Neither coreopsis even blinked in the triple-digit heat wave. In fact, I think the 'Redshift' resented being watered!

Both look stunning with dark blue blooms of salvia, such as 'Victoria' or 'Black & Blue'. They also look good with deep burgundy blooms of Benary's Wine Zinnia or gaillardia 'Burgundy'. I planted an annual purple fountain grass beside the 'Redshift' and it's definitely going right in the middle of the mass planting next year.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my coreopsis AB

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    12 years ago

I am interested in adding some Coreopsis (Cosmic Eye and or Galaxy) to my garden. Do we have experience with these new cultivars re hardiness to zone 5b?

• ghoghunter
    12 years ago

This is the third year for my Red Shift and not only did it survive but there are 2 smaller plants near it so it multiplied!
    Joann

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

I got a 'Sienna Sunset' last year, sometime in mid to late summer. Didn't know if it would be perennial here, but it was only $4 so even if it turned out to be annual it wouldn't be a big loss.

Well what did I find this spring? Yep, it is up. ;-) Even looks like it might have spread a tiny, tiny bit. So happy it came back because the flowers were amazing and looked great with my blue fescue and 'Caramel' Heuchera.
    CMK

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmmm christin, nice combo!your heuchera likes the sun and good drainage of your other two?
    mindy

12 years ago

Thanks Mindy. H. 'Caremel' is a tough guy and seems to do okay with almost full sun.

Nothing special, but here is a pic of the combo in the new bed I made last year, with Nicotiana 'Perfume Deep Purple' in the back. Sorry, looks like the Heuchera didn't get in the pic, lol!
    {{gwi:275262}}
    CMK

• njmomma
    12 years ago

I have tried many varieties and moonbeam is the only one that returns for me every year. Maybe they don't like my good amended soil. who knows.

12 years ago

Update- my 'Sienna Sunset' is spectacular. Only thing I could say against it is that it is a serious flopper. I've had to stake mine until the plants around it are big enough for it to lean on.

I also got 'Route 66' Coreopsis in early summer and it is churning out the blooms like you wouldn't believe. Don't know if it will be hardy, but again it was only $4 so why not? Unlike 'Sienna Sunset' it seems to have seeds. Will be interesting seeing what the offspring look like.
    Today I also picked up 'Cosmic Eye' of the Big Bang series. Not my favorite color combo exactly, but for $3 each??? Yeah I got em' anyway ;-)
    CMK

• miclino
    12 years ago

Planted C. showstopper in late summer and cut it back so it could focus on roots. Instead its been blooming its head off and is still blooming. Hope it makes it.

12 years ago

I give "Cosmic Eye" two thumbs up. It bloomed superbly all summer and even now.

A few weeks ago I planted "Cosmic Evolution" and "Star Cluster".

As always the concern the hardiness of these varieties....only spring will tell

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

'Route 66' has been a mildew-magnet for some. :(

12 years ago

Another update: My 'Sienna Sunset' is up and looking great. A tiny (and I do mean tiny!) bit bigger than last year too.

The 'Route 66' is poppin' up!! I am thrilled that it came back. Mine never had any mildew problems by the way, though it could have been because I put it in a full sun situation with superb drainage.

The two 'Cosmic Eye' Coreopsis I got last year are not doing as well. The one from Lowes seems totally dead, though I do detect a small sprouting on the plant from the nursery that I planted out front. Time will tell.
    CMK

• miclino
    12 years ago

Coreopsis showstopper seems to have made it but then again this wasn't much of a winter.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

My 'Route 66' I bought last summer has come back and has spread a little as well. I love its colors. I don't recall any mildew last year, but none of the plants I have that are mildew magnets got any last year either. We'll see what this year brings.

Karen

• mistascott
    12 years ago

Just bought a Galaxy. Its flower is definitely my favorite from the pictures I have seen (haven't seen it bloom in person). I also like that it is compact. Anyone have any experience with it?

12 years ago

I had a couple of "Galaxy" in my garden last year and they did flower well but they also were a but floppy.

11 years ago

All my first year coreopsis have made it through the winter including Cosmic Evolution and Star Cluster which I planted late in the fall.

• DYH
    11 years ago

Star Cluster, planted in my cottage garden, came back better than any other coreopsis.

That said, voles tunneled under other varieties out in the deer resistant meadow garden! So, it's not really a coreopsis issue. Redshift was reduced in width by the tunneling, but the remainder of the clumps look good.

I planted seeds (in the fall) of native prairie coreopsis palmata and those seedlings look fantastic.

Cameron

11 years ago

Bump. I would love to hear which Coreopsis survived for everyone and how they are doing overall.

My 'Sienna Sunset' is back again. Maybe six inches wide at this point. I could probably divide it soon if I felt like it, which I don't. Lol.

'Route 66' is up, though it doesn't seem quite as full in comparison to SS.

'Cosmic Eye' appears to be dead as dead can be.
    CMK

• april_wine
    11 years ago

My moonbeam coreopsis is up and has spread quite a bit. I also have "Jethro Tull". It has stayed evergreen all this winter and has doubled in size too. Both of these have been heavy bloomers for me.
    I have ordered "Mambo" this spring and I hope it will do as well as my other coreopsis.

• boday
    11 years ago

Anyone in the colder zones (4/5) have problems with spotty returns on coreopsis, even 'Moonbeam'?

I got a suggestion of planting them deeper, first set of leaves. I'm going to try it as I've had things like a half dozen 'Moonbeam' and three come back. Irritating to say the least.

Normally we get good snow cover so returns should be normal.

11 years ago

CMK wrote: 'Cosmic Eye' appears to be dead as dead can be.

It is way too early for me to tell re life for my "Star Cluster" (or is it "Cosmic Evolution"?); and similarly for "Cosmic Eye". However I do so hope I still have CEye as this will be its third season and I think its blooms are so striking.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 20:05

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

For unknown reasons both Moonbeam and Creme Brulee die here in Denmark in zone 7. The same applies to Coreopsis tripteris; don't know what is going on.

• miclino
    10 years ago

Moonbeam is a spreader for me. Showstopper is now in its third season and is back as well although it does not spread

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Yep, Moonbeam fails to return....and as for the newer cultivars - disaster - I even took pictures to remind me never to be suckered in again.

Not such a great loss, considering the many, many yellow daisies to choose from - even the miffy osteos are more reliable than coreopsis.

10 years ago

Well I was wrong. The 'Cosmic Eye' out front did survive. It has doubled in size, so is about 4in wide now?? LOL. The bugger was hiding behind a salvia ;-)

The 'Moonbeam' a GW trader sent me last year has come up without a hitch btw.
    CMK

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drainage, drainage, drainage and drainage.
    No coreopsis in sight.
    And did I mention DRAINAGE?