Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ri_mike

Winding Down

RI-Mike
11 years ago

Garden is really winding down now after a great display this spring and summer. We change the clocks next weekend so we can no longer deny the fact that the outdoor growing season is over. Time to fire up the grow lights!

Here are some progression photos from spring to summer. 99% perennials. I have full sun, part shade and heavy shade so I'm able to adopt just about everything that will grow in this zone. I'm going to duplicate something like this on the other side of tha yard in the spring once I remove the hedge stumps.

Here is April

Comments (17)

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The long and winding road....well not really. This is the view from standing at the foutain, which I am kicking myself for selling this year. got bored with it, and now wish I made it into a huge succulent pot.

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Perking up a bit here in May. Caramel Heuchera was outstanding this early season.

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Come June, life is grand and the weather is prefect. Not to cold, not too hot. Bring on the flower power.

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

July. The best Month for sure. Who doesn't love July 4th? No presents needed for this holiday. Just cold beer and burgers! Flower Power is now in full effect!

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mixed shaded area really filled out nicely this year, although I do have a few dead spots here and there.

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Somehow I missed August and Septemeber. I think I was pre occupied building the hoophouse behind the shed.

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

October. Done and Done! Collected some seeds and now continue to roam around the gardening wondering what the heck that plant was now that it's withered away. Good thing I took pictures, as come spring, I can never remeber what is where are what color it was. How many days until Spring?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

super...

welcome to GW ...

i like your edging.. its an art.. a lot of peeps simply dont know how to do ...

whats the plan on the poly hut???

thx for the pix.. come back often

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: oh the days dwindle down ... to a precious few ... open in a new window and listen close ...

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

ken_adrian wrote: I like your edging.. its an art.. a lot of peeps simply dont know how to do ...

Elaborate Ken.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

Great job on the bed! I always enjoy seeing pics of seasonal progression. It really is important to have the beds looking good in all seasons, at least those directly within my line of site all year. That caramel heuchera looks really great in your spring pic - did it stay that way all through the season or lose some of its coloration?

11 years ago

whats to elaborate about rouge??? .. see link

i never liked the half moon shovel.. i just use a SHARPENED straight shovel ...

and i use the lawnmower.. to make the curves ... no use getting fancy.. only to find out.. its not machine compatible... been there.. done that.. lol ..

start a new post???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: something like this

11 years ago

more links at link below

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken - the plan for the hoop house is cold winter crops, propagation, seed starting, etc with a plan sale in the spring to offset the cost of the hooby. Once it's empty, I'm planning on tomatoes, paste and beefsteak. My best guess is it will become to small in 6 months, I'll have more plants than I know what to do with, give most of them away, and loose money on the whole thing....but I do enjoy it!
    As far as the edging, it helps if your OCD and can't sit still for 30 seconds on top of that. I use the flat shovel as mentioned and then the upside down weedwacker trick to keep things in check.

MXK3 - The Heuchera looked good until mid July, then when the heat came, it kind of went downhill in color and was closer to brown than caramel. I was hoping it would come back into form in fall but it didnt. I have a few others, but none looked as good as that one so I'm not touching it.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

So much space! And free of deer too?

11 years ago

Mike, I am so envious of the large amount of space you have available to garden. Lucky you!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

Looks great, thanks for posting! Is it a new garden? It's so nice to see all the colors of July and I feel like your statues and urns etc really add alot to the beds.

11 years ago

The link you provided re maintaining or creating an dirt edge was good Ken...thanks.

But a single thread dedicated to pictures of GW members edges (natural, stone, brick. wood, etc) would be worthwhile I think.