Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oriental poppies haven't put up fall foliage...

Posted by david883 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 6:14

After my iceland poppies (in a container) died in our heat wave last year (and failed to return), and not a one oriental poppy seed sprouted via winter sowing, I threw in the towel (sort of) and picked up three oriental poppy plants in the spring. They were planted in a spot that was somewhat lacking in sun in the morning but got a very good amount in the afternoon. I'd say sometime around August it started to get pretty hot here and there (we had a pretty cool summer this year) and the foliage disappeared as expected. So now that we're in the throws of fall, from what I understand, foliage should be reemerging about now and remain through the winter. Well.... my poppies missed that memo. Or they've moved on to the big compost pile in the sky and I didn't get the memo. Either way... Whats everyone's input/experience on this? If one is dead I wouldn't be surprised. Some little critter did some digging near it and not to be out done, Evil the dog completely decimated the area.... The poor squirrels here have to deal with my dogs digging up and eating all their nuts... different story.
I'm afraid my "must have poppies.... must have poppies..." mantra may just be wishful thinking and I may have to give up on them :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oriental poppies haven't put up fall foliage...

I think you'll just have to wait until spring and see what happens. It might be the case where the plants were so stressed by all the critter action, they just didn't have the energy to sprout some leaves this fall or they did sprout leaves and the critters destroyed them before you noticed. They still could next spring, but who knows.

I haven't grown Oriental poppies for a long time, but when I did and when I finally decided to dig them out and toss them, I had tiny plants sprouting from leftover roots in the ground for quite some time. These plants have an extreme desire to survive.

Kevin

o

Mine don't show leaves till spring. And I agree with Kevin about leftover roots.

o

I have two and neither one of them put up any fall foliage. They usually do. I hope they are alive!

o

Mine don't show leaves till spring. And I agree with Kevin about leftover roots.

o

Don't give up on them ever. I dug mine up once and gave them away and three or 4 years later I had two brand new plants bloom! Must have left a tiny shred of a root behind and boy was I surprised. So just be patient.
Joann

o

My experience is like Susan's - the oriental poppies didn't ever put up fall leaves here in a former garden where I had them.

o

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll wait until the spring to see if they come back. I was hoping to move them to a better location but I'll wait to see what happens in the spring and maybe move them later in the summer next year. And in all honestly... I don't think I'll ever be able to give up on poppies. Not only do I love them but I'm too stubborn to give up this easily lol

o

My oriental poppies always show a new flush of leaves in the fall. I thought they all did that.

o

They will be fine - they are immortal, invincible, unkillable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here