Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

transplanting tall snapdragons

pippi21
10 years ago

I am in process of revamping one of my flowerbeds that is overcrowded and looks like hodgepodge..I have some beautiful tall snapdragons of mixed colors that needs to be relocated. How much do I cut them back before digging them up before relocating them? I need to do that today if it doesn't rain. I posted this before but it disappeared, so don't think it was a successful post. I apologize if it shows up as a duplicate post.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

they are annual for me in MI ...

unless we need a better ID ... ????

if so ... pull them out.. dispose of them.. do your work.. and plant some new ones next spring ...

ken

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

They overwinter here-
    in my experience, prune them pretty short, almost close to the ground.

I have several in my garden, all volunteers. If I just yank one out, without pulling the roots as well, it just resprouts with the most beautifull fresh foliage.
    The older ones tend to get some kind of rust and look ratty after flowering.

bye, Lin

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Now is the time of year to rip them up anyway, and I would bet they have already dropped seeds that will germinate next year. So watch for those to sprout and transplant them to where you want snaps.

This post was edited by MulchMama on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 10:20

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Many of them overwinter for me as well. I have moved around the ones with colors I like best, often in the middle of summer even. They seem quite resilient with transplanting. I'd but them back to a few inches. Good luck!

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Even in my zone 5, I usually get most of my snaps to over winter. The plants that return bloom much earlier than the new seedlings. I agree with the others that you can trim them back and move them where ever.

Martha

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida