Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Hardy cactus in the garden -yes? no?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
11 years ago

I've been contemplating these for ages now, but something tells me it would be a mistake. I know there are a least a few species of cactus native to MN, so they should survive our winters, but would they be worth it?

Has anyone in cold winter climates used any of these in the garden with success? I can imagine they are absolutely deadly to work around with all those spines, but do the blooms make up for that?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the species which stay outside through the winter like Opuntias - not ones that summer outside and are brought back inside for winter.

Kevin

Comments (21)

• coolplantsguy
    11 years ago

I had O. humifusa for several years. It was more of a novelty than a true ornamental, although I likely didn't have it in the best spot. Spines were not a problem for me.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

We've had a spineless Opuntia for years. I agree totally with coolplantsguy that it is more of a novelty than anything else, and we don't have enough sun or sand to put it in a best spot.

By far the hardest part of dealing with them is weed control. Normal mulch is bad because it holds too much moisture, but we have them in normal enough soil that weeds are perfectly happy there.

• ontnative
    11 years ago

A gravel or sandy mulch might be best.

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

Yes, weed control can be a problem, and with those spines they are really difficult to weed around without getting stabbed all the time. I love the idea of stone mulch - I wish I had thought of that before throwing all of mine away. Also love the idea of spineless cactus.

• marquest
    10 years ago

it is a novelty and a design preference for me.

if you want a design of a cactus garden it is the way to go.

if you have a dead zone that you have trouble growing plants in it is the way to go.
    ' Weeding is not a problem for me because I prepared the bed so the weeds were gone and with the gravel bed in the summer it is so hot and dry if a weed pops up it dries up and dies because of the hot dry area.

it is the most care free garden I have....No need to weed or water.

I do not suggest you try to grow them in a garden expecting it to be a mix with normal perennials.

If you are looking for flowers just buy some peonies. The flowers have the same look and you will not get pricked.

That said here is a view of my garden. I have spring bulbs, the cactus, sedum and yucca for the color and the design.

{{gwi:92499}}

{{gwi:92501}}

{{gwi:275662}}

{{gwi:92508}}

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

marquest - That is pretty amazing for a zone 5 garden. I'm impressed to say the least.

Kevin

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Very pretty, Marquest.

I've never grown cactus/other succulents outside, only in greenhouses.

Re (hardy) opuntia:
    it's not regular cactus spines that are the problem in handling these, but the glochids (the numerous, barbed, hairlike spines).

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Sorry, duplication,

but worth repeating how attractive Marquest's cacti are.

This post was edited by SunnyBorders on Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 16:08

• marquest
    10 years ago

Thank you.

You are right about glochids (the numerous, barbed, hairlike spines). The area is outside my mudroom as you can see there is a wood raised wood ledge. I was on the phone and sat down thinking I was far enough away from the cactus and sat down on them. I was in pain for weeks.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    10 years ago

aachenelf, I have a giant bucket cover full of yellow prickly pears that I thinned out. I can send them for the cost of postage if you want them.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    10 years ago

I forgot to post about the spines...lol I have mine in a sectioned off area of my garden. I put 1/2 sand 1/2 soil and covered them up with small rocks. I do get spined once in a while but they come out pretty easily for me. I did share them with a friend,who like marquest sat on them...not fun, from what I was told!

Marquest...I would love to trade one day for a pad of your orange and pink optunia. They are gorgeous!!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa

Thank you so much for the offer, but since starting this thread and reading the comments, I've abandoned my original idea of planting cacti. Plus, it looks like our gardening season is officially over - highs only in the 40's for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again

Kevin

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

bill_ri_z6b posts on the New England forum and has a dry garden, gravel mulched, where he grows cactus, along with other plants that like dry conditions such as lavender and poppy mallow.

Here are a couple of threads that include some of his cactus, though none are focused solely on the cactus.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/neweng/msg101149331666.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/neweng/msg1009042923900.html?71

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Fantastic bed, Marquest!

So, you're saying they're a "pain in the *ss" -- HAHA! But --> O-U-C-H !

• marquest
    10 years ago

ishareflowers, I would not need a trade I would be happy to send for postage. As you can see I have plenty.

I have these two colors too.
    {{gwi:92512}}

{{gwi:92510}}

mxk3, yes a real pain in the you know what. One thing for sure you find out who really loves you when you ask them to help you.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Lovely, Marquest.

Speaking as a Northerner (?): Cactus seem to present such a contrast; beautiful flowers on a stark plant.

• dayscapes_z7a_md
    10 years ago

I would definitely say yes to hardy cactus. Great flowers in the spring and great architectural structure most if not all year.

{{gwi:275663}}

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

I've been growing a couple of hardy Opuntias for a few years now.

The spineless O. humifusa has a nice if brief show of yellow flowers in late spring and is worthwhile mostly as a change of pace/curiosity. It's neighbor is a spiny glochid-wielding horror which has impaled me more than once and has yet to flower. I bought inexpensive long medical-type forceps which are handy for weeding around this thing.

Soil hasn't been a big deal for these plants. They're in fairly well-drained soil but certainly not a cactus mix. That area has remained damp for extended periods in winter which you'd think would kill them off, but they're very tough (the spiny monster was started originally from seed and did very little its first year in a small pot. I didn't think it was worth bringing indoors that winter and left it on the patio. I was amazed in spring to see a new shoot on it).

marquest's photos make me think it might be an idea to investigate a few more hardy cacti - spineless, of course. :)

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

I've been growing a couple of hardy Opuntias for a few years now.

The spineless O. humifusa has a nice if brief show of yellow flowers in late spring and is worthwhile mostly as a change of pace/curiosity. It's neighbor is a spiny glochid-wielding horror which has impaled me more than once and has yet to flower. I bought inexpensive long medical-type forceps which are handy for weeding around this thing.

Soil hasn't been a big deal for these plants. They're in fairly well-drained soil but certainly not a cactus mix. That area has remained damp for extended periods in winter which you'd think would kill them off, but they're very tough (the spiny monster was started originally from seed and did very little its first year in a small pot. I didn't think it was worth bringing indoors that winter and left it on the patio. I was amazed in spring to see a new shoot on it).

marquest's photos make me think it might be an idea to investigate a few more hardy cacti - spineless, of course. :)

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

We had hardy cactus growing near a tree in our front yard in SD when I was a kid. We spent the summer barefoot as much as possible and got many of those hairy spines in our feet. I vowed never to have those buggers in my yard or garden. Also never saw them bloom.

• marquest
    10 years ago

If you have the space I think they are a wonderful addition to a gardening experience. I get more comments and questions about this garden than any other. But I have 4 acres and the space to designate the space. But.........

At my old house I had a small suburban garden. I had the yellow blooming cactus at the edge of the yard around the mail box with a yellow rosebush, spring bulbs, iris, and daylily Stella. It was my yellow flower blooming mailbox design. I had people stop and take pics of that garden.

I had blooms all seasons. Yellow spring bulbs, yellow spring blooming iris, yellow rose, yellow cactus, yellow daylily.

I say this to say that it can be done in a large or small area but it depends on what is appealing to the gardener. I like something different and nothing is more different than people that do not realize that cactus can be grown in a zone that get a foot of snow or more in the winter.

I became a landmark on my street. They told people they lived 3 houses up from the yellow cactus garden. lol