Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing society garlic

Posted by la_yanqui Argentina, zone 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 8:00

Hello, everyone! I am planting out a new flower bed in my garden here in Argentina, and I just picked up a 10 L-container (2.5 gal) of society garlic. The selection at the nurseries in my town is poor, and companies here don't do mail-order. Long story short, I was only able to buy the one container of this plant, but I would have bought three if it had been possible. Can I divide a plant of this size into three smaller plants without it suffering? It is flowering already, but I don't mind losing blooms as the foliage is evergreen and will still add interest. Temps here are still in the high 60s/low 70s, but summer is on its way. Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing society garlic

in case you get no specific answer ... speaking generally ....

looking at images on google...

i would cut it in half... repot half.. and keep in full shade for a week or so.. to get it over the stress ... and then plant it in the garden ... for a show this year ....

and i would dissect the other part into as many pieces as i wanted .... .. expecting not much of a show this year ... but growing on the volume i want.. for the big show next year ...

do not confuse instant gratification ... with propagating a single into the volume you want/need ... the flower show will come ... next year.. at worse ..

ken

o
RE: Dividing society garlic

Thank you. I went ahead and divided the plant, and so far it's looking good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here