Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can elephant ear plants grow trunks?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 8:25

I have seen a couple of pictures of these plants with stems and wonder if that is what they are.

Here's a picture I have seen:
http://cdn.highwire.com/2552574.jpg

You can find more here:
http://images.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&safe=active&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=799&q=Elephant+ear+plant&oq=Elephant+ear+plant&gs_l=img.3..0l3j0i5j0i24l6.804.4413.0.4574.20.15.1.4.4.0.77.775.15.15.0. ..0.0...1ac.1.Baa9lFh5Jts#q=Elephant+ear+plant&num=10&hl=en&safe=active&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=isz:l&sa=X&ei=dEWBUL-OFuLC0QHOwoHwDQ&ved=0CCMQpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=556d109eb083eb1b&bpcl=35466521&biw=1600&bih=799

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can elephant ear plants grow trunks?

I can't post any images unfortunately because they decided to block that out of fear that I'm spamming them. That's why it's all links instead of images.

o

Your pic:

your link

o

I suppose it depends on your definition of a trunk. Here's one:

"The main woody stem of a tree as distinct from its branches and roots."

The above photo shows a plant with a very distinct "something" and I suppose you could call it a trunk if you want to. I probably would, but I don't know if that's technically correct.

Kevin

o

My EEs planted in the ground and routinely frosting back the foliage every year. Each year it adds what looks a new bulb on top of last years, looking very much like yours. I can break off a section and plant it, after all danger of frost and the soil is warm enough that it does not rot. It will root the same as if it was nice round purchased bulb. Al

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 12:45

I just have to let you know that the title of your post made me chuckle (take "plants" out).

o

mytime, I thought the same thing, lol! I thought it might have been a "trick" post or a funny thread! It's very reasonable to suppose that elephants ears would have trunks, no? lol!

:)
Dee

P.S. Wow, can't believe that that big plant is doing well living in that sized pot!

o

That looks similar to the trunk of a banana tree.

o

I had a huge elephant's ear plant in a pot in my shade garden this summer. I cut off the leaves and took it out before frost, expecting it to have a tuber. (It was purchased from a garden center.) Lo and behold, just little roots! I'd like to save it for next summer, so I plopped it in a smaller pot and put it in my basement in hopes it will stay alive in a semi-dormant state. It will have a little light from a small window and I plan to water it a little every couple weeks. Does this sound like a plan for success?

o

vtandrea unless your basement freezes it should be OK. Your EE sounds normal to me. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here