Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sedum falling over from the center- divide it?

Posted by mmqchdygg Z5NH (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 8:45

My mother has a sedum- it's not A. Joy, but it's the same overall size, but considerably darker in the bloom. though.

Anyway, she noticed that it was falling over from the center...I thought maybe it was because the neighbor dog might have laid in it, but upon closer inspection, it simply looks like it's overgrown...the center is starting to put out new rosettes, and the old growth is simply laying out like a flattened paper plate.

What needs to be done with this, and if it needs dividing, HOW? Just hack it with a shovel?

Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sedum falling over from the center- divide it?

well it is october .... it is tired ...

either just cut the old stalks off for winter.... leaving an inch or two ...

or.. stick a shovel right thru the center.. and halve it.. or quarter it ... you cant kill it if you wanted to ...

and any little brussel sprout that gets loose .. will probably grow if kept in contact with the soil ...

i have one in yellow sand ... full sun.. no water ever .. never fert'd .. and it is still standing.. never flops ...

another get a few less hours sun .. and happens to be mulched .. and it has been flopping since august ... perhaps yours need more sun .. less water.. and no fert .... it need a bit more abuse ...

whatever pleases you is fine with a sedum .. they are all the same ...

good luck

ken

o

Thanks; that's what I thought but was looking for a second opinion.
fwiw, the falling over thing started early on- right as it started to come into peak- not just recently.

o

My autumn joys are very floppy this year and I plan on dividing them some time before spring. I think division is necessary when they splay out in the middle. And mine get no shade or excess water.

o

Cutting them back by half in May really helps keep them from flopping later in the year.

o

I agree with buyorsell888. I don't really cut back by half, but mine try to bloom early. Once they start forming the first flower buds I prune it all back just below to next set of leaves. It promotes the plant to start side shoots and when it does flower in fall it is full of flowering tops and no flopping. All the clipping can be used to start new plants after removing forming flowers buds. Just stick in the soil and walk away :)

Vera

o

i forgot to mention that you could probably run them over with the car to divide them..

and get a couple thousand plants.. lol

ken

o

dammit...spewed all over my new monitor...

o

I cut mine back in June when they're around 12". I cut about 4" or so off. It seems like the stems get thicker this way and they don't flop. I don't fertilize either. If they're flopping now, it's probably because of that time of year...end of the season. Even my sturdy ones are leaning now. Cutting them back is a great way to get new plants.

Kat

o

I just love sedum and they have done really well this year. I have never had a problem with flopping but I've always pinched my plants in May. This year I divided the plants. I just took a shovel and cut them in half. They looked pretty ratty at first but recovered quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here