Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowbunny_wi

Raised table top bed and perennials over winter

snowbunny_wi
10 years ago

First off I'm in zone 4

Here's my dilemma, I merchandised for a perennial co. this year and at season end I got all the left over plants....hundreds. I have been giving them away but there are still A LOT more which include ones I know I want but don't have the time to create the new beds I want to put them in. I also don't have time to create a holding bed for the winter besides my husband probably wouldn't appreciate me randomly digging up the yard.

What I do have is 3 raised table top beds but I know that if I put them in there the roots will freeze killing the plants because thats what happened to my strawberries (not my chives though lol). So if I enclosed the opening to the beds maybe even stuff leaves under them (we have a bounty of those) would they make it through the winter?

Oh and if any of you are in central WI I am still giving away plants :)

Comments (7)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I would put them in a rectangle along a foundation and pile the leaves around them there. I've wintered over potted plants buried in mulch.

• snowbunny_wi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like that idea even better. I've purchased hostas before and never got around to planting them and they were fine the next year. I don't want to chance that with all these though and would at least try to prepare them as much as I'm able to.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if I put them in there the roots will freeze killing the plants because thats what happened to my strawberries (not my chives though lol). So if I enclosed the opening to the beds maybe even stuff leaves under them (we have a bounty of those) would they make it through the winter?

==>> i am confused..

zone appropriate plants.. will NOT care if the ground freezes .. period

your prior failure.. most likely.. was winter water management in a frozen pot ... the SBerries roots rotted off ..

pots should be put in full shade .. never winter sun on a small pot ... else the pot might thaw in feb.. not good ...

and then once frozen.. laid on their sides.. so NO WATER accumulates in frozen media.. roots need air.. water on frozen media makes ice cubes ... like you dont know that.. lol ..

once frozen solid.. they could be staked on pyramid style and cover with a tarp .. but not one that will trap heat ..... to avoid excessive winter wind.. which will desiccate media like chicken in the freezer ...

and they should be left as such.. until the ground starts to thaw in spring.. not too early..

the key is.. GET THEM DORMANT AND MAINTAIN DORMANCY ... and manage water properly ...

ken

ps: little pots thaw fast.. during these few day warm spells int eh great white north ... by stacking them into a giant mass... they will insulate themselves .... a big gob of soil.. takes a month to thaw.. compared to a quart plant ...

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

If you have an unheated garage or shed you can store them there. Once they are frozen and dormant I bring mine into the garage until early spring. Sometimes I place pots next to the house foundation and cover them with bagged leaves until spring.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I've had the most success over-wintering perennials when I've set them against the house foundation on my east-facing breezeway and allowed whatever winter precipitation falls to keep them hydrated over the cold season. Even delphiniums have survived winter this way but I'm 2 zones warmer zone than you.

Nursery-grown plants won't do as well as things grown from seed via winter sowing. Sorry to sound negative + don't wish to rain on your parade but that's been the reality I've experienced.

Ditto Ken's remark--no smaller than gallon-sized pots + good potting mix. I haven't found it helpful to lay pots on their sides but there again, I'm in a warmer zone.

Best of luck to you. Don't leave us wondering what success you have.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there are many pot-aholics in the hosta forum ... who have many tricks for over wintering pots.... in many diverse zones ...

ken

• marquest
    10 years ago

I do not know if you can find them now but anything I want to over winter they are planted in Styrofoam coolers. I pick them up at the dollar store. Punch drainage holes, stack up the leaves and set the coolers on the leaves. Plant and stuff the leaves around the coolers.

I have never lost a plant with this amount of insulation.