Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mums and Daisies indoors?

Posted by black-thumb (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 9:54

I just purchased some mums and daisies for my kitchen window. I love the way they look but have no clue how to take care of them. I don't know how well they do as indoor plants but the window gets direct sunlight pretty much all day. I would like to have them come back every year so any info would be great. Pics below.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mums and Daisies indoors?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 25, 07 at 0:36

For the most part, consider them long-lived floral arrangements.

If they survive indoors and flower again, consider it a bonus.

o

OK... I'll try for the bonus. Any info on how to take care of them?

o

All you can do is water them when they need it. As indoor plants, eventually unopened buds and any new buds that try to form will dry up and the plants themselves will start to decline. Enjoy them for the long time that they do last.

o

Thanks

o

• Posted by nancyd 5/Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 2, 07 at 13:40

No need to be a black thumb! An easy way to water is in a sink and let the excess water drain out the bottom - always use pots with drainage holes and mix in a diluted solution of fertilizer occasionally. I think if you want to keep them alive longer, you'll have to give them more light - the sheers will block most of the sun. Try a plant light. Winter dryness is the biggest culprit of flowering plants, so mist them daily with a spray bottle and continually cut off the dead blooms. Mums and daisies aren't meant to be houseplants, but you can still enjoy them. I bought some gorgeous red-orangey florist mums one Thanksgiving and was able to keep them alive until March.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here