Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Filipendula - help please (fast!)

mxk3 z5b_MI
10 years ago

Anyone growing Filipendula ulmaria 'Aurea' (golden filipendula) or know much about it? I really wanted to get this at the local nursery, the foliage was lovely (not really golden, but a sharp yellowish-green). What stopped me was the tag said it gets 2-3 feet tall, and I have nowhere to put this plant if the foliage is that tall. I'm not sure if that means that is the height of the blooms or of the foliage - ? .

If the foliage stays in shorter mounds but the blooms rise up high (like Japanese anemone), then I'm all over that and will go back and get them today or tomorrow. Does anyone know?

Comments (19)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

I have some but can't really answer your question....! Mine does not do well because (I think) I cannot provide moist enough conditions for it in sun. I doubt it's a 'mounding' plant though - what scraggly foliage mine produces is trying to be tall. Actually, I don't like it because the yellow coloration just looks like a sickly plant to me :-) It's one of those things that needs to be with a group of yellow plants to really shine. My 'golden path' area is in shade and not damp enough for this one so it wouldn't grow there. See link below - deadheading is definitely a good idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Filipendula 'Aurea'

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

I've grown it for six or seven years ago. My soil isn't all that rich, so it stays on the smaller side, about two feet. It's tough to explain about this Filipendula. In the spring it is a low mat of bright gold foliage. The foliage then seems to follow the stems as they rise and get ready to flower. Hope that makes sense- what I mean is that there isn't a nice basal tuft of foliage once the plant gets ready for bloom.

I'm not sure if you could cut the stems down as they emerge to keep the plant smaller. I have commented ((to myself, that's not strange right? LOL)) that I wouldn't cut this plant down after the flowers are done, as it would look like a bundle of sticks with nothing at the "end". I tend to keep up the spent flowers/stems since they look more natural.

Here are some pics of the plant:

early spring
    {{gwi:193861}}

bloom time (very old pic here, lol)
    {{gwi:276213}}

I also wanted to add that this is one of the easier Filipendula's I've grown. It doesn't get nasty, rusty foliage like the other's I have tried (Kahome & Red Umbrellas). Surprisingly, it is okay with soil that dries out a little, though it looks lusher in moist conditions.
    CMK

This post was edited by christinmk on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 11:16

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

There are two Filipendula, one 'Aurea', filling a space immediately in front of the house (between the two pillars below : picture: Sept 20, 2013).

I do deadhead the flower spikes (tend to flop), for me, for neatness. The rest of the plant stays acceptably compact (at least for a few years).

This post was edited by SunnyBorders on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 17:59

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics - very helpful.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

I just erased part of my entry above along with what appeared to be an imbedded ad (for an automobile company).

Don't know if anyone else knows anything about this procedure. The ad was associated with my word "reliable".

If I can expect this sort of thing I'll be parting company with GardenWeb, clever and informed members or not.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

See!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Sunny - That is very weird. I use Firefox for my browser with Adblock. When I have Adblock enabled, there is nothing odd about your post. Just for the heck of it, I disabled Adblock and took another look at your reply. The word "house" appears in green with a little arrow by it. When I move over that word, a pop-up appears with some audio ad. I've never seen anything like this before.

Now back to enabling my Adblock.

Kevin

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Thanks Aachen for the information.

I like GardenWeb for the knowledge and experience I read (and see) on it. It's a place to get corroboration for one's own gardening experiences and also to get additional useful information from other gardeners' experiences.

Am sure there's no sinister intent, but do need to prevent this from happening.

Thanks again.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Can't help with the filipendula (although I'm LOVING the photos of it and may have to get one!) but I just wanted to say that the green, highlighted ad thing has been going on here for quite awhile. I have no idea if or how we can get around it, so I just ignore it and try not to move my mouse over a green word....

Dee

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Adblock now doing the same for me, Aachen.

10 years ago

It's a special GW ad thing. Try going to below link to disable- this is the site GW sent us to last year when they first started doing it. I just did it and it didn't work...but normally it does. Lol
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: vibrant opt-out

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

There is also a variegated filipendula - it doesn't get very tall. Mine is about half the size of the regular pink flowering one. It also blooms white and is very long-lived.

• florauk
    10 years ago

For me the vibrant ad block has to be done each time I log on. I don't bother now. I just don't mouse over the text but keep the cursor to one side. It's irritating but isn't too much of a hassle. There's nothing any more sinister about it than all the other junk the Internet throws up in the way of unwanted advertising and presumably it's what keeps this site free of charge.

Filipendula ulmaria is a UK native plant and, although I don't have the golden one, I do have the species which I grew from wild seed. It is actually planted at the margin of my tiny pond with its roots in mud. That shows you the conditions it likes best. Here it grows in wet ditches in the wild.

10 years ago

I also have the variegated one. Its lovely, but much slower to bulk up than the gold. Plus you have to watch it like a hawk and make sure to pinch out any full-green shoots that arise. Still cool tho ;-)
    CMK

This post was edited by christinmk on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 23:42

• boday
    10 years ago

Put me down for on board with the variegated Filip. I leave the blooms alone and they look good even later through the season and winter.

• greenthumbon1hand
    10 years ago

How much sun does Aurea need? I'd like to put it in a place that gets 2-3 hrs of sun - is that enough, or will it look dull?

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Thanks, CMK and Florauk for info.

Aachen solved my problem.
    Adblock's working for me.

10 years ago

-greenthumb, I think it might green out a good deal in that little of sun. Mine always gets lime-y in the summer, when all the other plants around it have grown up around it and shade it more.
    CMK

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

UPDATE:

On a whim, I picked up an Aurea just yesterday. And now I read this thread. (Sometimes still the cart before the horse).

I am just wondering how much shade it can take.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors