Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

Amsonia hubrichtii

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
10 years ago

The longer I have this plant, the more I like it.

This year the autumn color is truly spectacular, though usually it is a bright gold without the red tones.
{{gwi:206560}}From October, 2013

I like its subtle June flowers.
{{gwi:230639}}From June 11, 2013

And for most of the summer it provides a bright green note with its feathery textured, healthy foliage. This is a plant that the only maintenance I do is to cut it back in the late fall, and occassionally dig out a seedling to give away; no deadheading, no trimming back yucky summer foliage, no staking, and no dividing. It wouldn't work in a formal garden, but is ideal for my rural setting.

Comments (18)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

That is an incredible fall picture of your Amonsia...stunning.

I did plant one a few years ago but it did not receive enough sunlight in that location. I had no place to move it to and so I replaced it was a part shade plant.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My plant in the second photo gets part sun and the rest bright shade. It is a bit looser by this time of year, and is turning a bit more slowly than the two in full sun (first and third photos.)

Here it is from yesterday.

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Heaven.

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

I have this plant too and absolutely HATE it. I think it only gets the good color in the very cold zones. Mine has never looked colorful. It just looks like a big weed. I'm ripping them all out next Spring.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Love, love, love it!! Interestingly, mine also has red/mahogany undertones this year too.

• valeriepa
    10 years ago

I have seeds of this plant if anyone wants to trade.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I've heard about the supposed outstanding fall color of Amsonia, but had no idea it was anything like this. Those photos are gorgeous!

Kevin

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ech - It may have something to do with other growing conditions. I have well-drained acid fine sandy loam with a lot of added well-composted manure added to the bed. It may not do as well in other soils. I haven't seen photos of your garden, so I also don't know how well this plant fits the style of your garden. It fits well in my rambunctiously casual garden which was planned to have as much year-round foliage interest as possible as well as looking nice from a longer view, so I would grow it regardless of its fall color.

I have to admit that it doesn't always look this spectacular. As long as we don't get an early hard freeze (when it goes from green to gray) it usually turns a lovely gold with orange highlights, more like the shaded plant in the fourth photo than this year's full sun plants. It does take a hard freeze (25 degrees F) to kill it however, so the color will develop through several light frosts in my garden.

• gardenbug
    10 years ago

My favourite plant! I'm in Canada and it is always beautiful here. I grow it in several spots on my rural property.

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago

I am thinking about buying this plant, and I know it turns a pretty color in late fall or early winter, but how will I know when it's time to cut it back?

• gdinieontarioz5
    8 years ago

You cut it back whenever you don't like the way it looks any more. Even early spring would work.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Tina, I cut mine back any time between the first hard frost, when it turns a light tan color and earliest spring. I like how it looks still after the first hard frost but before the first snow, so I often cut it back in March after the snow melts, when it looks awful. They are pretty large plants, so I use a tool I learned about here for cutting back perennials, old-fashioned hedge shears.

Fall appearance after frost it adds contrast with the nearby evergreens

In early spring it isn't ornamental any longer so this is when I cut it off. When we have a winter like this one, with a thaw now that has eliminated what snow we have had, I can cut it back now.

• agardenstateof_mind
    8 years ago

Here in Zone 7 central NJ, near the shore, this perennial displays wonderful fall color year after year. Perhaps the lack of good autumn color may be due to other factors.

• User
    8 years ago

I put a couple in along one of the banks in my woodland, along with asters, eupatoriums, molinia, carex....and I honestly don't even care if the autumn colouration is vivid because I am loving the delicate structure and airiness of this plant. I have always had a huge weakness for large airy perennials but never had a space to show them to their advantage...but I have now. Have many of the tabernaemontana (from seed) dotted about the place too.

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago

Thank you for your responses!

• User
    8 years ago

I am loving your garden, NHBabs. I am seeing a really distinctive American garden style on GW which is refreshing and exciting...for me at least...especially since trees, particularly evergreens, are underused in the UK...and I would say the same about a number of shrubs such as ninebark which create a totally different aesthetic to the 'heavy on perennials', English garden style which often passed for 'superior' garden taste in the US. I don't want to sound patronising...it really is interesting to fully appreciate a stylistic departure from current UK orthodoxy.

I think the tree-lines and 'borrowed' landscapes are a crucial aspect - the UK has not even begun to recover from the almost total loss of climax vegetation at the end of the 18-19C in lieu of agriculture and managed forestry which has nothing of the magical, natural or artistic.- our tree cover, at around 9% is the lowest in Europe with only a few tiny vestiges of ancient woodland.

• PRO
    KD Landscape
    8 years ago

Amsonia hubrichtii and a single gingko in October at the Morton Arboretum, Lisle, Illinois.

Fall Color · More Info