Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amsonia hubrichtii

Posted by nhbabs z4b-5a NH (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 11:01

The longer I have this plant, the more I like it.

This year the autumn color is truly spectacular, though usually it is a bright gold without the red tones.

From October, 2013

I like its subtle June flowers.

From June 11, 2013

And for most of the summer it provides a bright green note with its feathery textured, healthy foliage. This is a plant that the only maintenance I do is to cut it back in the late fall, and occassionally dig out a seedling to give away; no deadheading, no trimming back yucky summer foliage, no staking, and no dividing. It wouldn't work in a formal garden, but is ideal for my rural setting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amsonia hubrichtii

That is an incredible fall picture of your Amonsia...stunning.

I did plant one a few years ago but it did not receive enough sunlight in that location. I had no place to move it to and so I replaced it was a part shade plant.

o

My plant in the second photo gets part sun and the rest bright shade. It is a bit looser by this time of year, and is turning a bit more slowly than the two in full sun (first and third photos.)

Here it is from yesterday.

o

Heaven.

o

I have this plant too and absolutely HATE it. I think it only gets the good color in the very cold zones. Mine has never looked colorful. It just looks like a big weed. I'm ripping them all out next Spring.

o

Love, love, love it!! Interestingly, mine also has red/mahogany undertones this year too.

o

I have seeds of this plant if anyone wants to trade.

o

I've heard about the supposed outstanding fall color of Amsonia, but had no idea it was anything like this. Those photos are gorgeous!

Kevin

o

Ech - It may have something to do with other growing conditions. I have well-drained acid fine sandy loam with a lot of added well-composted manure added to the bed. It may not do as well in other soils. I haven't seen photos of your garden, so I also don't know how well this plant fits the style of your garden. It fits well in my rambunctiously casual garden which was planned to have as much year-round foliage interest as possible as well as looking nice from a longer view, so I would grow it regardless of its fall color.

I have to admit that it doesn't always look this spectacular. As long as we don't get an early hard freeze (when it goes from green to gray) it usually turns a lovely gold with orange highlights, more like the shaded plant in the fourth photo than this year's full sun plants. It does take a hard freeze (25 degrees F) to kill it however, so the color will develop through several light frosts in my garden.

o

My favourite plant! I'm in Canada and it is always beautiful here. I grow it in several spots on my rural property.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here