Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

What to do with broken bricks?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
11 years ago

Ages ago, I decided to edge all my beds in brick. It took 700 of 'em all hauled 100 at a time in the truck of my car. I don't regret the decision.

However, eventually they crack and break into pieces - not at an alarming rate - just every once-in-a-while. I've saved all these pieces and probably have a few buckets of brick pieces and brick halves and don't know what to do with them. I can't toss them in the trash and don't like to do that anyway if I can find another use for something.

So, can you think of a really creative use for my stash? Preferably something that would use all of them at once?

Kevin

Comments (12)

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

I've used broken bricks to make part of a path by my compost bin; I will be using more in a week or two edging the curved part of a brick-edged bed. They look pretty neat all uneven and jagged, mostly because they are all different tones of "brick".

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i used to use such in the bottom of large pots.. to aid drainage.. and reduce the amount of potting media used to fill a large pot ...

then i thought about you gluing them to bowling balls.. lol ...

then i thought.. crimminey.. just throw them out.. or bury them in the garden ...

ken

11 years ago

roman floor mosaic ... see link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken

You inspired me. This is what I'm going to make. I have a couple hours this weekend. Should be doable. Don't you think?

Kevin

{{gwi:276424}}

11 years ago

i think you will spend a lot of time chipping bricks.. lol ... hopefully with eye protection ...

in our zone.. with ground freeze ... i might consider doing the puzzle indoors in winter.. and then putting it outside.. after ground heave is over ...

creating the base.. as the romans did for their roads.. not unlike painting prep.. is 99% of the project.. can you do that in one day/weekend???

ken

ewe.. even better ... build a form ... say 2x2 .. create the mosaic face down ... pour mortuary cement on top ..

and make a patio stone ... pot trivet.. etc ...

• HerdingCats
    11 years ago

I use chipped bricks and rocks to hold in soil from places like the bottom of my post and rail fence in the front of my house.

I also second the idea of using the chips and broken bits in a pathway of some sort; if need be, whack a brick with a hammer and get more chips if pieces are too big to make "gravel".

Or you could spend several hours with some concrete and make a pretty mosaic, like you said. ;-)

Best-
    Herding Cats

11 years ago

no questions on mortuary cement???

ken

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You do realize I have no intention of doing a mosaic like the one above? That was just a bit of humor.

Maybe I could smash them all up and create a small, area for plants that like stoney, gravely-type soil?

I guess I'll just hang on to them for a few more years. I guess they would come in handy the next time I dig a hole for a fence post.

Kevin

11 years ago

i didnt figure you did have any intention..

but it might be a cool winter garden project ...

what do you do in mpls for the 8 months of winter .. lol ...

ken

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

LOL, Kevin, I expect to see pictures when you are done... this evening!

The halves you might want to save if you ever need to repair your edging or do a walkway. But that's probably a long shot.

I completely understand the desire to *not* throw them away. I suffer from the same disease, lol. Perhaps you should post them on freecycle or Craigslist. I'm sure there is someone out there looking for exactly what you have!

Dee

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I use the half bricks when my beds have a curved edge. Since the bricks never break exactly straight, I put the widest part on the outside of the curve.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Personally, if I had them, I would do as you mentioned and use in them a rock garden of sorts. Dump them out, throw some soil on them and water it in to fill cracks and crevices, repeat as needed. I think it would be lovely in a sunny corner planted with a patchwork of tiny groundcover sedums.