Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Abutilon Care

Posted by arbo_retum z5 ,WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 11:31

We're expecting our first frost tonight so i'm scrambling to remind myself instructions for various tropicals. Here's a good piece I just found. Have any of you had success with fall transplant of abutilons from outdoor pots into smaller indoor pots for the winter? (my huge glazed outdoor pots are too big to bring indoors.)

have you found that a continual fan will keep out whiteflies?
thnx much,
mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: abutilon care

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Abutilon Care

A fan is not going to keep whiteflies away unless you have it set to "Hurricane Force", and that won't be too good for the plants. Continual vigilance and regular spraying will be needed to prevent a whitefly buildup.

Being a sucker, I have two abutilons growing indoors, one under fluorescents and the other in a sunny window. Past experiences have not been good, but there's always the chance I'll discover the magic formula this time out.

If bringing large abutilons indoors I'd plan on cutting back heavily, spraying to make sure few if any pests come in with the plants, and going easy on the water and fertilizer for awhile.

o
RE: Winter Abutilon Care

eric, cut them back AFTER they finish their long-attended blooming?what do you use for spray? (i have 5 yr old Neem's but it got wicked thick and i don't know how/if i can thin it.)
thx much,
mindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here