Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pegnj

Yellow buddleia

pegnj
13 years ago

I was thinking of planting a yellow Buddleia next year. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. How big does it get/what size can it be kept to? What are some nice companion plants? Best variety?

Comments (9)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I don't know how much you have already found out about yellow buddlejas, so forgive me if I am teaching my grandmother. Firstly, they are shrubs, not herbaceous perennials, so you might get more help over on the shrubs forum. Secondly, there are 2 likly candidates, Buddleja globosa and Buddleja x weyeriana. There are various named cultivars of each. Again, forgive me if you already know this but neither looks quite like B davidii in bloom. Globosa has spheres of yellow /orange flowers and x weyeriana has looser clumps of flowers arranged in lax racemes, but neither has the long inflorescences of davidii. So if you were imagining a standard-looking 'Butterfly Bush' but with yellow flowers that's not quite what you'd get. Both grow to the same sort of size as regular B davidii and respond to the same pruning treatment. Both are reputed to be slightly less hardy than B davidii. As to companion plants I'm not sure whether you mean things that would look good, or things that would have some sort of supposed mutual benefit. The first is a matter of taste and the second, IMO, would be irrelevant to Buddlejas. I suggest you Google the two named yellow species above and see what you think.

• linlily
    13 years ago

I've seen some very well grown Buddleia weyeriana Honeycombs in bloom and I thought they were gorgeous. They looked enough like the "davidii" that I had no idea that they were different forms of the Butterfly Bushes that I grow, so I learned something here today. They were similar in size to my plants too. Apparently they were fairly hardy in our zone because they always came back. They grew at a home next door to a house where my daughter had lived somes years ago.

Bluestone Perennials has a write up on Honeycomb along with a picture and some general and plant care info that might be helpful to you.

Linda

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

I have Honeycomb, new to me this year. I love it! It does have slightly different bloom shape. There's also one (I think also Honeycomb) planted at a garden center I pass on the way to work. Theirs seems a little smaller than the usual Buddleia - maybe 5 ft?

• gardenfanatic2003
    13 years ago

I wouldn't plant buddleia this late in the year. They're marginally hardy, and best to plant in the spring so they have all summer to establish.

Deanna

• gardenfanatic2003
    13 years ago

Oops, sorry. Just noticed you said next year.

Deanna

• pegnj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The mention of orange turns me off. I might be better off with the davidii. I am planning for next year in my yellow area and I don't like when the different types of yellows fight. Do Buddleia's do OK with sun from 10-2? or do they really need full sun all day.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    13 years ago

They do a LOT better with sun all day, or a good 6 hours. Your time limit should be OK though. I do have a couple in a spot which gets sun from 11 to 3 with dappled shade at other times. They flower a bit less so next year I'm going to try cutting them back a bit to bring out more blooms. I realize the blooms may be smaller and later, but that's fine by me. :O)

• mindysuewho
    13 years ago

My Honeycomb doesn't bloom nearly as prolifically as the two others I have (one lavender and one a royal purple). It also doesn't seem to attract butterflies, bees or hummingbirds like the others. I've had it for about 4 years and am thinking of pulling it out and replacing it with another type.

• nancyd
    13 years ago

I had a "Honeycomb" variety which I agree did not bloom as prolifically, but still pretty nicely. It was a great plant/shrub but I moved it in the summer and it did not like that. Eventually it died the following year. It was very reliable until I did that. Hummingbird moths loved the plant. I knew I was taking a risk, but I had to move it for other reasons. I've not replaced it, but I do miss it. It probably got to about 6 feet tall. I liked purple flowers with it - but really it worked with anything.