Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mchembree

Help Please - Finding Japanese Anemones in So Cal

mchembree
10 years ago

I posted this in the California Gardening forum but could benefit from more eyes, so please forgive me if you've already seen this question over there.

Here's my problem. I really want to try Japanese anemones in a part-shade area in my garden here in West Los Angeles / Santa Monica, but can't seem to find them available for purchase here. I'm especially looking for Hadspen Abundance and Honorine Jobert, but can't ever find them. Either the nursery never has any for sale, or (rarely) they get just a few and sell out before I get there. I prefer not to buy online if I can avoid it for these plants.
I've tried the local nurseries in September, October, and/or November for the past couple of years without success. I've asked Monrovia about local (or not-so-local) vendors, but this hasn't worked either.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a secret password or handshake for finding these plants here?!?

Thanks very much!

Judy

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

EVERYTHING is available .. mail order ...

but my first thought.. not being form CA..

is yes you are doing it wrong .....

what you are doing wrong.. is burning gas.. instead of the ether of the web ...

i have this old technology ... you dial up suppliers.. and give them your credit card... and packages mysteriously appear a week or so later.. lol ...

see link .. call someone ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: and using the latin name will get you even further ...

• mchembree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, .......

Obviously I have tried searching the net multiple times for this, made phone calls, etc. Nothing available locally that I can find, and prohibitive shipping costs for the number of plants I'd need to order online. Plus I've sometimes been disappointed with the quality of plants I've received from online purchases, even from reputable plant sites. Hence the reason for my post asking for helpful information from anyone who might be able to actually help or point me in a more helpful direction. I will continue to hope for that.

• princessgrace79
    10 years ago

Do you have plants you could divide and offer here? I'd hit up the trade forum here and see if you can find someone offering. My experience with Japanese anemone is they like to spread (I planted some this year gifted from a family friend with an overgrown patch) so you may have some luck, and all it would cost is postage.

• mchembree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PrincessGrace, that's a great idea but I'm afraid I don't have much to offer in trade. I do have quite a few agave attenuata, but I don't imagine they're particularly rare or sought after. But it's worth a shot -- thanks for the idea.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

In these parts, Japanese anemones usually make an appearance in nurseries during the spring-early summer planting season. This is usually because fall planted anemones are hard to overwinter if they do not have a decent root system established before the onset of freezing weather. In your area, you will probably not have that problem, but I wonder if your local suppliers might be using the same sources that provide anemones to other regions in spring? If that is the case, you might have better luck waiting until spring to find your plants.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

well .. good for you ... i had to start with the obvious answer ...

i was wondering about timing ... and whether you were looking in the wrong season ...

anyway ... good luck with your search... i have plants on my want list for a decade.. and have still not given up ..

i wish you luck

ken

• mchembree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ispahan, you make a good point. I will try again in the spring. Ken, thanks for the good wishes. I will keep these plants on my "want" list until I find them. It just surprises me that these particular plants are so hard to come by, at least in this area.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Call the large garden centers in your area.
    Ask if they sell Japanese Anemones during the year.
    If yes, ask when.
    Then ask if they will have the cultivar you want.
    If they say "No," ask if they will order for you.
    If they say "Yes," ask if they will hold one (or more?) for you.
    If they say "No," ask "When will the Japanese Anemones arrive?"
    Then be there.