Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

starry little cyclamen

I started some cyclamen from seed last year and a couple of them bloomed this year! Needless to say I am stoked, lol.

I shared a pic of a pink one awhile ago on another thread. Here is a shot of a white one I discovered blooming the other day. Its cute and kind of unique...the flowers are starry and have extra petals that are a bit leaner and flatter. Kind of reminds me of a jasmine.
CMK

Comments (11)

• giraffe
    10 years ago

Loooove cyclamen.....thanks!

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

That is a well earned flowering cyclamen. Congratulations on getting them from seed to blooming stage! I see you are soon to be gifted with some more stars, too. Cyclamens bloom for a very long time here and I loved their show last winter. Unfortunately, they are too pricey for this year's design due to some unexpected financial slaps. But I'm not ready to try my patience from seed yet.

• princessgrace79
    10 years ago

Very very cute! Does the white come from seed grown? Mine came with the house 6 years ago (apparently the previous owner got hers in a purchased mulch by accident) and they have spread to all corners of the yard via squirrels and birds but just the last two years I have been seeing white.

Gyr Falcon you should have found my trade post :) I could dig out cyclamen all day long lol

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

-princessgrace, yep, it came from seed as well. Your lucky to have them pop up so much! Just imagine the blanket of color you will have in a couple years when they are all in bloom! Do yours all have that cool silver mottled foliage as well?
    CMK

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

lol princessgrace. How lucky for you! But I don't have squirrels at this house--and I don't miss those losing battles. Even for cyclamens all over the garden. ;) But it sounds as if your landscape helpers are having a good go at becoming designers.

• florauk
    10 years ago

That's a very sweet little C hederifolium and one year from seed is fast. I see yours is already producing seed of its own so it's clearly happy. It will be interesting to see if the offspring are white or pink depending on whether there were pink plants in its ancestry.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

What a nice little flower. Do all the blooms have the extra petal? Mine are just starting to put out their leaves and it's nice to see things coming to life rather than packing it up for the year.
    Frank

Original Author
    10 years ago

-Frank, I had wondered the same thing. I went out to check today and the new blooms are the typical cyclamen-shape, not starry like the above pic. Too bad, I liked the odd flowers.

I went out and took some more pictures of the other cyclamen I planted. Only two are in bloom, but the foliage alone is enough I think! Yes, I am dorky enough to name all of my little plants. LOL. I figure it is easier for me to recognize these in the future by names rather than numbers. Slideshow below...
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyclamen slideshow

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

I guess I'm dorky enough to want to see a slide show of baby cyclamen plants.... Except it says your photobucket is private.... am I doing something wrong?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ooops. My fault... here it is again
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: cyclamen

Original Author
    10 years ago

An interesting thing I learned just today...the silver mottling/variegation on cyclamen is called Reflective or Blister variegation because of a layer of air beneath the epidermis/surface of the leaf that causes a reflection that gives the illusion of silver coloration. Kinda' cool....
    CMK

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting