Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creatingsanctuary

perennial snapdragon identify please

jane99
12 years ago

Hello. I have a snapdragon plant that acts like a perennial. I have had it probably 5 years. It is not dwarf. It is great - blooms in the spring and the fall. I trim it back in the winter and new growth emerges from the plant. It is not reseeding. Don't know if this is relevant but the colors are a blend of a pink/apricot. I would love to find out what it is so i can get more........... Thanks

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

how about a pic???

i am not aware of any winter hardy z5 snap that is perennial ...

ken

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Antirrhinum braun-blanquettii 'Dulcinea's Heart' might be winter hardy/perennial in your zone, described as 'apricot'.

Z5 - Z9 is stated but gardening in a Z8b I can't personally speak for how perennial it would actually behave in your zone :)

• mytime
    12 years ago

1) Antirrhinum majus is a perennial, but due to the fact that it develops rust(or some such problem), it frequently is treated as an annual even in zones where it could be perennial.
    2) Experienced zone 3 gardeners (and I include the "experienced" because that can be important in knowing that the plant overwintered, rather than reseeded)have reported instances of their A. majus overwintering...not necessarily reliably, but it does happen.
    3) There are several pink/orange cultivars. For a while, that was an easy color to get starts of, but around here, that color is more difficult to get in recent years; I don't recall the name of the one I used to get, but it would reseed for me (more so than other cultivars I've had).
    4) It wouldn't surprise me that a combination of factors resulted in a particular plant surviving in zone 5: a micro-climate, good snow cover, a plant with a tendency for more cold hardiness than normal. I don't think your best bet is to buy more (unless it ends up not being A. majus), but to collect seeds from your plant and try growing them. The reason is that I suspect your individual plant perhaps has some tendency to survive colder weather that you wouldn't find in the plants you bought.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

where is it planted? If it is in a protected spot or up against your foundation, then it is likely the reason. As mytime has said, it is a perennial and can withsatnd fairly low temps. My neighbour has had them come back every year for years (the shorter kind). they stay looking fairly green througout the winter, showing green through the snow. :) In the spring they can look a bit rough but they do green up and flower all summer.--zone 6 here in ON but I think it is considered aone 5 on the US map

• vieja_gw
    12 years ago

I live in zone 7 (New Mexico) & I also have a snapdragon that has lived & bloomed now for 3-4 years. It is in full sun & is now a 6-8 inch clump of stems/flowers. Have no idea when I planted it: if by seed or plant (has red/yellow/orange hues on blossoms)but comes back from the base every year (& we got minus 9 degrees here one night last winter!).

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I actually had some overwinter and come back this past spring here in the Detroit area -- first time this has ever happened. It was a colder than normal winter last year, but when the coldest weather hit, we also had fairly deep snow cover, which is what saved them. These were definitely the original plants -- they were still green when the snow melted, and perked up and grew.

• northerngirl_mi
    12 years ago

I regularly have tall snapdragons overwinter - not every plant makes it... (at least I don;t think so... but since I just scatter them throughout perennial beds, I have no count of number that don;t vs. do...)

I assume that in winters where we have a decent snow cover when the weather is really cold that I get better success rate... but cannot say this is the case.

I never plan for them to overwinter - just view it as serendipity when they do.

If you want more, just try buying some 6-packs of any snap variety that appeals to you in the spring - if they like the spot they're in, some will likely make it.

Beth
    Z5 northern Michigan (near Traverse City)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Yes they are perennial(climate permitting)they start blooming now and continue through spring here. You can start new plants, now, from tip cuttings. If you save seed they also start easily from seed. Al

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting