Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Need suggestions

mxk3 z5b_MI
10 years ago

I am sapped out of ideas at this point of my project :0(

Need something mid-height (1-2' or so, even 2.5' would work), part-shade, preferably summer bloom but spring bloom acceptable (no fall bloom, have enough of that), and good foliage all season. Soil is average, can be a bit on the dry side but not overly so (read: high moisture lovers won't work here). To give you an idea of what works here, I have a very vigorous stand of Ice Dance sedge growing in the spot at this time (too short; need something taller here).

Comments (8)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will penstemon work here? The spot doesn't get more than 3 hours of sun, if that, but does get bright indirect light for a good part of the day.

Other things doing well in the area besides the sedge are Endless Summer hydrangea, Japanese painted fern, lady fern, liriope, brunnera. Definitely not the spot for a true full sun lover but wondering what might work with the bright indirect light.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you know.. its october in MI ...

why be all anal about finishing.. in fall???

leave the blank spots.. for next spring ... call it POTENTIAL ...

if you 'finish'.... what will be left for spring time whims???

ken

ps: i have a million justifications for declaring a job done.. lol ...

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Because (a) fall is a great time for planting, (b) there are terrific discounts on plant material this time of year, and (c) I feel like it.

• marquest
    10 years ago

Home Depot has Silver Sword Azalea. I picked 5 of them last fall and never got them in the ground. They survived so they are hardier than I thought.

It has a pretty fall and winter pink green white variegated colors leaves and it is loaded with flowers in the Spring, It is a pretty 4 season plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check this out

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

About the only 2 I can think of would be one of the smaller Aruncus or Uvularia grandiflora. The Aruncus should bloom early summer and although the Uvularia would bloom in spring, the foliage is really quite nice all season. They both handle drier conditions pretty well, although a bit more moisture is preferable. From my experience, the conditions you describe seem almost perfect.

Kevin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

oooo .. 3 reasons ... lol

ken

ps: are you ever going to favor us with the wall story.. or did i miss it

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I don't think that you have enough sun for Penstemon. How about a gold hosta or variegated Solomon's seal or Japanese forest grass? Checkmate Rhododendron is about 2 1/2' in my garden and is essentially a very short form of PJM.

• User
    10 years ago

astelia, bupleurum longifolia (esp.Bronze beauty), polemoniums (esp.Lambrooke Mauve a sterile, therefore long-flowering shade lover), chaerophyllum roseum, various campanulas, acteae misty blue, epimediums, omphalodes, saxifrage urbium or S.umbrosa, gillenia, herbaceous clems. esp. the small integrifolias such as Pangbourne Pink, meconopsis cambrica