Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolplantsguy

Plants that are at their best this time of year

coolplantsguy
14 years ago

Wow, what a plant! There's not many plants that actually hit their peak this time of year, but here's one of my favourites:

Allium thunbergii 'Ozawa'

{{gwi:277104}}

Comments (32)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, I haven't seen this one before.

Annette

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

It would look good with monkshood and autumn crocus right now.

• coolplantsguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Autumn Crocus were at their peak here in Niagara in late September, although there may be some variation in bloom time according to variety. Here's a pic of one with Ceratostigma plumbaginoides taken on Sept. 24.

{{gwi:277105}}

But you're right gottagarden, the Autumn Monkshood is another one that peaks right about now.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

Coolplantsguy: The autumn crocus/plumbago picture is a stunning!!

I've always wanted to try autumn crocus but have never seen them locally. Any recs for sources?

I just took out some plumbago - was getting too rambly/weedy in a particular spot. No guilt - I still have plenty, the stuff grows so well for me I'll probably never have to buy another pot of it :0)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Your double 'Waterlily', can you explain why they are so darn expensive when they multiply like rabbits. I just gave about 2 dozen away, kept only a couple as I am redoing the bed they were in. I love the way you have it planted with Ceratostigma? I'm definitely going to try that combination it's stunning.

Annette

• coolplantsguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Allium is certainly rare, but the Autumn Crocus should be available at better garden centres and mail-order companies. Keep in mind, that it is typically available in the spring or early summer, if I recall correctly. ;)

I'm pretty sure up here, somebody like Garden Import has a few to choose from in their "summer bulb" collection.

I have no idea why they are "so expensive" -- it's all relative I guess...

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

Those look like Colchicums, not autumn crocuses. Different bulbs entirely. The former are rodent proof. The latter are not.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Very pretty combination. Like waterlilies on a pond. :-) I wonder where you have your plumbago planted that it does so well?

• coolplantsguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, those are definitely Colchicum which is commonly referred to as the Autumn Crocus. I know there are a few species of Crocus that flower in the autumn, but I've never heard them being referred to as the Autumn Crocus. That being said, common names can be somewhat confusing! ;)

prairiemoon2, full sun and otherwise lean and mean.

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

Yes, my colchicum are just done blooming, but my autumn crocus are going strong, with my monkshood. I've never heard them referred to as anything except autumn crocus ;-)

Another late bloomer now is salvia azurea, which is flopping all over the place.

• coolplantsguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Damn common names! ;)

• ninamarie
    14 years ago

Hardy ageratum, or Eupatorium coelestinum. Its blooms open this time of year and it really does look like ageratum - same blue powderpuff flowers, but this one is perennial.
    Symphiocarpus or coral berry. This is a lovely shrub and no autumn garden should be without it. Lots and lots of coral-pink berries began to appear a few weeks ago, and will persist into the first snows.
    I'm surprised how well some of the hosta are holding up this year, despite the frosts.
    Also recommended, because they look so good now are Clematis 'Arabella', which begins blooming in June here and Persicaria 'Firetail'. which seems to think it is August, not October.

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

hmmmm, i used to have that...now where did that osawa go? Nina, i'll have to find that symphiocarpus; thank you for the tip. For us, just north of Boston, the flowering highlights today, 10/19/09 are:
    Clerodendron;Heptacodium;Viburnum Berries, Aconitum Carmichaelii; Persicaria Firetail,Taurus, Lance Corporal, and Golden Arrow; Falopia Crimson Beauty, Sedum Autumn Joy,Rozanne Geranium and Corydalis Lutea ( the two longest blooming perennials here, flowering til hard frost, usually in Nov.);Miscanthus Strictus and Giganteum,Hakonechloa, Liriope varieg., Japanese Anemone,Eupatorium Chocolate, Colchicum.Still to come- Vitex,Callicarpa berries, and all our glorious foliage.I really do love fall in the gardens, but I wish all the other gone-by plants didn't look so wild and wooly.
    best,
    mindy

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

My Ceratostigma plumbaginoides never looks even half that beautiful, coolplantsguy. And the combination is absolutely stunning. I have that Colchicum too. It is buried behind Purple Love grass. :-D

Colchicums sure look good in fall, but, boy, are their leaves ugly in spring/early summer. And they stay tall and ugly for the longest time before they decide to go dormant.

• coolplantsguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, Persicaria 'Firetail' (and other cultivars) has been mentioned at least a couple times -- must add to my list! I always thought of it as a mid-summer plant, but I guess it blooms relatively long.

I know most are familiar with Geranium 'Rozanne', but I am almost convinced that the blooms are larger and brighter this time of year.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Arctanthemum arcticum 'Red Chimo' is still in full bloom for me and matches the colour of Allium thunbergii 'Ozawa' perfectly. Chrysanthemum Hillside/Sheffield Pink has just opened its flowers the last couple of days. Aster laevis 'Bluebird' and Short's Aster are still showing a lot of colour, although a bit past their best. My Colchicums are still flowering despite being a trifle flattened by recent rains. The colour of the latter matches that of Wood's Pink dwarf aster, which is also still flowering.

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Still going strong for me here in Z.6: late chrysanthemums, of course, but also
    Anemone x hybrida 'Honorine Jobert', Eupatorium 'Chocolate', Dianthus 'Hoffman's Red', and the tender perennials, Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue' and Salvia leucantha.

• sue36
    14 years ago

Right now the Montauk daisies still look great, the Sedum Autumn Joy looks decent, and the Rozanne Geranium keeps going.

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

Calamint and asters bloom on near the windy city, along with sedum, and TADA! knockout roses.

• organic_doobie
    14 years ago

There are a lot of gorgeous fall blooming perennials that come in various colors.
    Aster californica -white
    Gaillaridia - yellow
    canna - red
    etc

Here is a link that might be useful: fall blooming perennials

• coolplantsguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

carl, I'm impressed with your Dianthus 'Hoffman's Red' still performing this time of year. I know a few tend to re-bloom, but I'll have to look yours up.

• ninamarie
    14 years ago

Frost here has killed almost everything now. Hosta leaves have turned to mush and in the forest, there is a mere glimmer of gold where the last few leaves cling to the branches and stand in relief agains the stark black of the tree trunks. Most of the gardens are littered so heavily with leaves, it's impossible to tell where the plants grew.
    But there is one perennial still blooming beautifully. This is my first year in the garden for Aster cordifolius 'Avondale", a selection from North Creek, and I recommend it highly. The plants are billowing masses of soft blue daisies, about two feet high. Mine is set against Heucherella Sunspot' and the combination of blue and gold is lovely. This is probably the latest blooming perennial I have ever grown here. The flowers are perfect, and as yet untouched by the cold.

• cheerpeople
    14 years ago

I too love ozawa and its white sister thunbergii album.

Here is what is blooming in Oct for me.
    Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Oct in my garden

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

gottagarden, I just found one single monkshood in my bed. I had thought about throwing it out when I read so much about it being poisenous, but may keep it. I dont have anything else blooming this time of yr.

Coolplantsguy, that shot with the autumn crocus is gorgeouse, looks like a watercolor painting.

cheerpeople, I love the shots with the blue asters. The shades of blue in the bed are very pretty.
    Tammy

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

nina, avondale sounds lovely; i'll pusue. Are you able to and do you grow corydalis lutea, aconitum carmichaelii, geranium rozanne, j. anemones, and heptacodium?Those are all still blooming here down near boston.Tree leaf fall is about 30-40% i think.
    best,
    mindy

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Ninamarie, I am in the Guelph area and grow the species Aster cordifolius, which is a vigorous self-seeder. Cullina recommends deadheading in the fall to prevent so much re-seeding. Does your 'Avondale' do the same thing?

• ninamarie
    14 years ago

Too new to know. I imagine it is fertile. But it's so pretty, and suits my shade garden so beautifully, I won't mind seeding. I'd be curious about the difference between 'Avondale' and the species - if any. What's your opinion of the plant.
    By the way, I live north of you, near Mount Forest.

• coolplantsguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

According to Armitage, the species Aster cordifolius grows to 4-6' (120-180cm), whereas the cultivar 'Avondale' only to 18-24" (45-60cm), and is described as being a "prolific bloomer". Both have light blue flowers in late summer or early fall.

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

nina, i just google mapped your town and it's looking like you must be about the same latitude as Bristol Vt.where Rocky Dale Nursery is. I'm guessing you have lots of great nursery resources where you are, but if not, rocky dale might be a good resource for your more difficult gardening 'what if...' type explorations.Ed, the owner, splits his time between Vt. and his original landscape business in Minnessota.They carry alot of interesting and unusual plant material too.
    best,
    minduy

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Ninamarie, my Aster cordifolius plants grow from 2-4 ft tall, depending on shade, etc. They will tolerate a lot of shade and even dry soil, very easy plants and long-blooming, but not especially "showy" in flower. I have not seen the cultivar 'Avondale' myself, so cannot compare it with the species.

Here is a link that might be useful: heart-leafed aster species

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Persicaria "Firetail" blooms all season long for me. If it gets ratty looking all you do it whack it back and it comes back in no time. Here is a picture of it amongst other things including a brugmansia that is just now coming into bloom. Down lower right is Salvia 'Hot Lips' that also blooms all season long.

{{gwi:277106}}

Dr. Moy, a hardy ginger for me at least, also blooms late in the season for me. Just yesterday cut a few of the flower stalks and brought them inside and the scent wafts through the house.

{{gwi:277107}}

While not a perennial flower, the male gingko tree also adds its presence in the fall garden.
    {{gwi:277108}}

As do witch hazels.
    {{gwi:277109}}

• lexer
    14 years ago

Wow Coolplantsguy, that allium is beautiful! I'm drooling and wanting to get my hands on some.

Lex