Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

need help filling in the gaps

njitgrad
10 years ago

This past summer I ripped out all of the junipers that were growing on the mulch on my backyard. I just hate low-growing junipers, what more can I say.

If its not too late to find some perennials at the clearance sales at my local nurseries, I could use some suggestions on filling in these spaces. I like things that grow low to the ground (except prickly junipers).

Or should I just plant annuals next spring like tons of Angelonia. It worked really nice next to my garage (see last two pics below which were taken today).

{{gwi:277190}}

{{gwi:277191}}

{{gwi:277192}}

{{gwi:277193}}

{{gwi:277194}}

{{gwi:277195}}

{{gwi:277197}}

This post was edited by njitgrad on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 13:56

Comments (5)

• boday
    10 years ago

That's such a great, large area that it could really become a high light of the yard. Okay, that's an ugly fence but the rest is great.

Agreed on junipers with grass growing through them.

At the fall prices, getting some plants such as Lamium - 'Pink Pewter', 'Orchid Frost', heucheras or tiarellas - 'Sugar and Spice', maybe some Hakone grasses, won't really hurt and you can spend all winter drawing up a master plan.

You'll have the fun of planning and then revising, as it clashes with reality.

First things first, I would check the soil and amend if necessary.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Some smaller hostas would be beautiful in your beds. Also ferns and annual coleus. I started coleus from seed under lights inside this year and had beautiful plants in pots as well as in the ground. It's also easy to take cuttings and keep them just in water all winter in a bright window. I have to agree with you about the prickly Junipers. The open spaces look wonderful and will be fun to fill in.

Martha

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i that one tree a maple???

if so... hosta will be a challenge.. but do visit that forum.. should you wish to be enabled ...

old juniper could compete with the trees... and new young plants will be tricky.. as a grower of hosta... under trees.. i suggest that you do not amend the soil.. nor ever fert only a plant... when you dig a hole.. you will sever tree roots.. and they will be very aggressive in growing new feeder roots into amended, fertilized holes... so we try to fool them into not getting all excited about the new hole ....

as to fall sales... i dont really think you usually get to shop names ... just buy whatever strikes you ... go by size..... you can rearrange next fall .... if you dont like how it works out ....

ken

• boday
    10 years ago

Excellent point about the tree roots, can't top experience.

As to fall sales, there's always some scruffy gems that are overlooked and often a large number of them in one flat. It's like panning for gold.

• judyhi
    10 years ago

Hi

How about cotoneaster? Many of them grow close to the ground. Scarlet leader is good, but can spread as a ground cover. Cranberry cotoneaster is also nice. What do you others think?
    Hey Ken, thanks for the info about digging holes to invite existing roots!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!