Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexh1000

Tall, narrow perennials

alexh1000
17 years ago

Hi,

I have a 5 to 6' wide border. Along about 15' of it I would like to partially disguise a 5' fence. In some areas I have specimen plants 2 to 3' away from the fence (eg. tree peonies would be the largest) so I have to be careful about spacing. I have the Western garden book and several books on perennial bed design but this kind of thing just comes from experience which I don't have. Here is a list of plants(I've included some bulbs) and what I know about them. My requirements/location are/is -

At least 4' tall, location has full sun until about 3:00 (north facing fence), raised bed, Western Garden Zone 16. In some cases I need flowering plants that won't compete too much with foreground specimen plants (like airy flowering types) but in other locations a flashy flower may be OK for punctuation or if the bloom does not coincide (ie. Peonies have a short bloom period). Of course I won't use all of these or it may get too busy (although some may say that's not possible I suppose).

1. Lilies (oriental, asian) - takes up very little horizontal space, good for punctuation.

2. Gayfeather - I like the Floristan Violet as it is very tall and has somewhat airy flowers, seems to take up a small/moderate amount of horizontal space (about 2').

3. Dahlias - Similar to Lilies but the giant ones seem to take up a moderate amount of horizontal space (about 2').

4. Coneflower - I think I will plant one of these at least but I'll use it mid border. Also, I think the tallest ones are yellow and my garden seems to be predominately red/purple with small spots of yellow.

5. Delphinium - The elatums (Pacific strain) are very tall but I don't know much about these.

6. Chinese Astilbe taquetti (Superba) is shown in one of my books. Very airy but he does mention that the base becomes dense and woody. I don't mind dividing as much as necessary but I'd like to know about how much space this takes up.

Thanks for any recommendations or additional selections!

Comments (4)

• nancyd
    17 years ago

I'm glad you're aware that you're going to have to keep on top of dividing. Anything 4 feet or taller usually means a fairly large plant. As for your zone, you'll have to do your homework. I think my suggestions will work, but you should always double check before you purchase anything. Here are my suggestions:

Lilies and Daylilies - That would have been my first suggestion. Lilies are great. Plant varieties that bloom at different times and you've got flowers virtually all summer.

Dahlias - Really gorgeous plant, but yes, the tall ones can get very large. Maybe choose some shorter varieties. They come in a wide range of colors and shapes. Up here we have to dig up the tubers in fall - do you get hard frosts in MO? If you're not sure, check the Dahlia Forum to see if you could keep yours in the ground.

Delphiniums - I'd stay away from these. They don't like that much sun or heat. They're a cooler weather plant. I can barely get them to grow up here.

"Becky" Daisies - I would suggest this instead. They are tall, have a long bloom period. They do tend to multiply quickly, but are easily divided. Becky performs better than any daisy I've had. Late spring to late summer.

Helianthus "Lemon Queen" - This is a fast growing tall plant with sunflower type blossoms that blooms in later summer. It's clump forming, but foliage is not overly bushy. Can get large quickly though.

Crocosmia - Great for mid-late summer. They are usually red or orange (but I've seen some yellow). Mine don't reach 4 feet, but well worth it for the hummingbirds they attract. They have spiky iris looking leaves which leads me to my next suggestion...

Iris - You can get very tall varieties in many colors. You'll need something for spring.

Artemesia lactiflora - Loves sun and gets about 4-1/2 feet tall. Looks like a really tall astilbe with the white flower heads. Foliage is lacy and not overwhelming. Late summer bloomer.

Agastache - I like the different varieties of agastache which I think would do well for you (another hummer magnet). Most are annuals for me. Summer bloomer.

Garden phlox - Nice punch of color, many varieties."David" is a taller white variety. They love sun. Stock might also work. I like the look of a big puffy flower. Early to late summer bloomer.

Japanese anemones - Great fall plant. The foliage is heavier at the bottom, but the flower stalks are tall and skinny. Honorine Jorbert is a gorgeous white bloomer.

Have you thought of any grasses? Karl Foerster is well behaved and gets about 4-1/2 feet tall. Mine has not gotten much wider over the years.

Annuals - Don't overlook annuals. I always intersperse my perennial beds with zinnias, sunflowers and cosmos. I love cut flowers and since I don't have the space for a cutting garden, it not only keeps the garden in constant bloom, but it's nice to have flower arrangements in the house.

Good luck!

• arbo_retum
    17 years ago

it helps so much if your member pg tells where you are and what zone- otherwise one can't really advise you. western zones mean nothing to me. what is your accepted zone?(mine is 5 and i'm near boston)i personally think that evergreens are a must. you have the sun they need and they will also give you year round interest and fence-hiding.and there are many many tall dense ornamental grasses. eupatorium and macleaya are other tall perennials. and don't forget th many attractive vines- honeysuckles, trumpet vines, clematis, hydrangea vine, etc etc. all these things i'm suggesting for the very rear of your border- up against the fence. the list of flowering plants you're considering-would go in front of my suggestions.

best,
    mindy

• delawarean
    17 years ago

How about verbascums, or the moth mullein which floats in the breeze like actual moths.

• Marie Tulin
    17 years ago

I liked veronicastum, or ironweed. V.tall,(about 5.5ft in bloom) takes part shade, so slim and delicate. However, the wands of flowers make an excellent vertical statement. Rather long bloom, and holds shape and seed heads for months afterward. I do not often see it in "regular" nurseries, but Bluestone has it in one color. There are a few colors, all in the white, pinks.
    idabean