Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mje769

Bareroot plants?

mje769
17 years ago

How in the world do you gardeners get bare root plants to grow? I have tried many times to grow bare roots and they die..HELP! I just recieved 10 daylilys (bareroot), our nights get down to 24* would you pot these up and keep them in a garage or plant them out? Your suggestions and tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Marsha

Comments (8)

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

Well, you are probably pushing on being late for planting. Still, if it were me I would put them right in the ground. If you have a holding area I'd put them there together. Water well for the first week or so and be sure to mulch well to prevent heaving. I'm not sure how your zone 5 compares to Massachusetts where I lived till recently but I've planted this late with good survival.

Daylilies are tough. Unless they heave really badly they should survive just fine.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Well, here in southern CT I would theoretically plant them in the ground now. However, in reality, I would never get around to it, would pot them up quickly in a pot, and overwinter them in the garage. EIther way would work here, but I'm afraid I can't help with your zone.

MrsGalihad give good advice above. If you are going to plant in the ground, water well for the first two weeks. Daylilies are one of the toughest plants you can have. I don't think you can kill them if you try, lol!

I myself prefer potted plants whenever possible, and I don't usually plant bareroots in the fall, other than daylilies, peonies, and iris. Where do you usually get your bareroot plants from? If you have trouble often, perhaps your source is not high quality?

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

I too wonder about what kind of nursery would ship any perennial, much less a bare root one, to zone 5 in mid October.

• mje769
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a bunch for your quick replys! I am going to plant them in a holding bed then tranplant them to their new beds next spring. These bare root plants come from Parks. like you, why are they sending them so late? I would have rather had them three weeks to a month ago!
    I will see how they do this coming spring.
    Marsha

• sharon_greenthumb
    17 years ago

dayliles usually dont die i put them in ahole full of waater then i put them in it and plant them im from canada but daylilies grow anywhere

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

The good new is daylilies are very tough. The bad news it's awfully late to plant anything. If they were mine I would mulch heavily and remember to remove the mulch in spring when you first see your neighbors daylilies showing green. Parks is good about replacing plants that die so don't be shy about demanding replacements if these don't make it. Good luck.

• jackied164 z6 MA
    17 years ago

I have great results with bareroots in early spring but never after that. To be honest I avoid planting all perennials after very early September. I am sure it works for plenty of people but I am suspicious of all the hoop-la about planting in the fall. Seems like a time for places selling plants to dump their inventory before the winter.

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

I reckon I'd go ahead and plant if they were mine but this time of year I wouldn't put the water to them. The ground should have plenty and an overabundance would just invite rot. Also, make double sure that you have no air pockets when you plant. Those are an invitation to freeze. Mulch around the plant but not over. If the plant does happen to frost heave replant as soon as you notice.

Your best bet on getting plants when you want them is to order from nurseries specializing in daylilies. I think you'll also be amazed at the quality of the plants as compared to the places like Park's and Wayside. I realize that they may be a little more expensive than what you got but they'll perform wonderfully. Most of the bulk daylilies that are sold are actually buy outs of hybridizer's seedling beds. Something that didn't make the grade.

Janet