Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Alstroemeria: How hardy?

mantis__oh
11 years ago

This plant at a neighbor's has been blooming for months. Does anyone know the cultivar, and is it reliably hardy here in southern Ohio? Is this Mauve Majesty?

Comments (18)

• ginnier
    11 years ago

Google shows a Pink Lemonade that looks like that. So pretty. I'd love to try these if they are hardy. I buy a bouquet of them at Wally World every couple months...thought they were tropical...LOL I'll be watching the comments you get.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

a quick google search indicates it is not hardy..

though there seems to be some marketing claims of hardier ones .. good luck with that.. lol .. maybe if you get lucky.. someone here can relate specifically to that ...

which means it all depends on what ma nature throws at us this winter..

ken

• ninamarie
    11 years ago

It is hardy here. I live about 2 hours nw of Toronto. Mine has been in the ground for at least five years. I beleive, but would not swear that the variety is 'Inca Ice'.
    It is still in bloom now.

• kimka
    11 years ago

There are two distinct groups. One is completely tropical and only hardy to zone 8 and the other hardy to zone 7 or zone 6, depending on the variety. Edelweiss Perennials has a good selection of the hardiest. You can always plant them in a pot and bring it in dormant if you don't have a sheltered spot in your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edelweiss Perennials

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Yes, there are hardy varieties (although I didn't think up to zone 4! Wow, that's great!). I tried several times to grow some from seed but never had luck with germination.

If you do end up getting some, be careful. I've read that they can be quite aggressive. It may depend on variety, but I would look into it before buying any.

They sure are pretty!
    Dee

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Cold zone 3 here ... I planted 'Inca Ice' up next to the south foundation of my home where the roots will be kept frost free over the long cold winter months ... I'll report back regarding its survival.

I love the blooms of 'Inca Ice'!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

Great picture twrosz.

ninamarie, given your experience and success with it in zone 4 can you tell me how large it gets and when does it begin to flower and for how long does flowering continue?

Do yo have it against a foundation wall for more moderate temperatures?

I think this will be my first plant to put on my "to get list" for 2013. I will try to find a warm place near the house. I think I have access to "Inca Ice", "Sweet Laura" and a "Ligtu Hybrid (haemantha)".

• coolplantsguy
    11 years ago

If I recall correctly, planting depth is critical in regard to hardiness.

11 years ago

Shallow or deep should it be?

• coolplantsguy
    11 years ago

Relatively deep. The trick of course, would be when and how to get it deep, particularly when you start with a potted plant. I would suggest some more research is required. ;)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Wow! That Inca Ice is gorgeous. I thought I gave up on these but I may have to reconsider...

Dee

11 years ago

And given that twrosz has his in a zone 3 should give you lots of confidence for it to be able to overwinter in your 'tropical' zone 6 ;).

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

"And given that twrosz has his in a zone 3 should give you lots of confidence for it to be able to overwinter in your 'tropical' zone 6"

This will be the first winter for "Inca Ice", though I'm rather optimistic due to the warmth that radiates into the ground from the cement foundation ... though, whether it survives and just how vigorous it shall be, I'll only know come next spring. If it does well, then I'm sooo interested in obtaining more varieties, especially those that grow a bit taller and better suited to a foundation planting.

mantis__oh, I love your plant, the blooms resemble godetia.

Terrance

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

I started a thread awhile back asking about Inca Ice and how hardy it is. Our great gardengal48 mentioned something interesting- this particular cultivar has been trialed for several years at Walters Gardens ((in MI)) and has done well for them. So I am hopeful this guy will make it thru winter with flying colors ;-)

I planted mine in a somewhat warmer spot in my yard, a bed facing south. It did amazingly well this summer and even had a few flowers up to frost.
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Alstromeria 'Inca Ice'....

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

christinmk, my plant arrived in the mail after sitting at the post office over the May long weekend. It was yellow and withered off and gave little hope of producing any blooms in its first year, though a slow recovery was followed by fast paced growth.

Here's the last of the blooms placed in a vase, they have great holding ability, the colors fade, though always look good.

{{gwi:277282}}

11 years ago

my plant arrived in the mail after sitting at the post office over the May long weekend.

twrosz can I assume you obtained your "II" from gardenimport.com?

I look forward to seeing their new offerings for 2013 in a few months.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

-twrosz, impressive that it bounced back after that kind of stress!

I must admit, I do still prefer the colors of Inca Ice when it first opens and is darker. I'm thinking planting something blue or purple in background so this guy will 'pop' more for me...
    CMK

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

rouge21, yes, the plant came from GardenImport. They informed they might be carrying more varieties from the Inca Series ... I'm especially interested in 'Inca Tropic' and hope it's one they'll be offering.

christinmk, sounds like a good idea, I'll also have to consider something blue :)