Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How/When to divide Brunnera 'Jack Frost'?

Posted by mscanthus 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 14:21

I have 3 very large Jack Frost Brunnera and I would like to divide them. The only info I find tells me to divide in winter.I live in Rochester,NY and the ground is frozen here in winter. Has anyone had success dividing these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How/When to divide Brunnera 'Jack Frost'?

I've had good luck just splitting them with a trowel and replanting them. I've done this in the summer.

o

I'd wait until spring now, sometime in April when the new growth appears.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 18:06

You can do it now. Fall is optimal time for planting/transplanting/dividing - cool days, warm soil = perfect conditions for root growth.

If you do decide to do it in spring, I would wait until after it blooms; if you divide before it blooms, you may end up sacrificing the display for the season.

o

You should be fine to divide now. I divided one last year in late September to see what the results would be this year. The division was about 3/4 to 1/4. The 1/4 piece was the one moved, but the 3/4 piece stayed in it's original place. Here it is in July of this year - the biggest one in the back. Please pardon it's seedlings which I planted in front out of curiosity. :O) As you can see some of the seedlings do not come true but could add value to other sections of the gardens next year.

Photobucket

I am north of you in Nova Scotia, Canada, so you should be fine doing it now.

o

I divided Jack last fall and they were fine this year. I also left one undivided and it bloomed a bit more than the others this year. but other than that they were all great.

go for it! As with all divisions, be sure to prepare the soil well and water well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here