Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

Moving in zone 6

dbarron
9 years ago

Well, I currently live in NW Arkansas and am moving a scant 20 miles away. I have quite a few perennials and a few bulbs that I want to move.

Due to not having possession of the property I'm moving to...and a desire to not return to the property I'm leaving....I plan on digging plants in the last week before my move and putting them in small shopping bags and moving them to their new home, where I will find a way to put them in the ground (maybe not best siting and maybe just to hold them till I can move them again).

I expect they'll be living in their bags for 1 to 2 weeks..and I hope they like it enough to tolerate it.

It hasn't yet hit freezing temperatures, but it is likely we may hit mild freezing temps by my move date (Nov 12th). I can put them on a sun porch for protection if people believe it's warranted. Does anyone have a feel for what the critical temperature is, requiring protection ? is it 32 or 25 ? or lower ?

Anyone have suggestions, I'll be glad to entertain better ideas.

Comments (6)

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

In my experience cool, damp shade is better than warm and I'd definitely keep them out of sun. If the plants are hardy I doubt a couple night time drops into the lower 30's would hurt them this time of year & I cannot believe it will get cold enough to freeze the soil in bags this early. We are still hot just a little bit further south (80's & 90's) but at least the evenings have cooled down.

I keep wondering but summer really has to stop sometime, so far there are very few signs of fall outside of shorter days and cooler nights. I see a few leaves just starting to turn but only in bits, most trees are still full & green. It would take a drastic change in a short time to get that cold in only a couple weeks.

Unless you are in a drastically different situation in NW Arkansas than us in central Oklahoma, I can't see how its going to get that cold by early November, I'd worry more about sun or heat sending them into transplant shock from digging them up before going dormant. Seems fall is late in coming this year, let alone the really cold stuff, and there doesn't look like there is anything dramatic in the upcoming forecast except to drop down into the daytime 70's.

I'd wait to set them in the ground when its cooler and you expect some rain and cloudy days.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

presuming dormant... they could probably last all winter ... exposed

only two issues i would worry about.. lack of drainage in the plastic bag ... and sun on plastic heating the bag ...

you might be better off... just laying them.. w/o bag.. on the north foundation ... and just sprinkling them once a day ...

caveat ... i am thinking of 50 degree MI days with 40 degree nights... i dont know how your ARK differs ...

one thing for sure.. every step you take towards loving them to death.. will probably accomplish that end ... they are hardy dormant plants.. and nothing more.. they do not need to be indoors ...

and do not confuse FROST ... with freeze ... there is a big difference ... and i wouldnt worry too much about it up here in MI .. let alone down by you ... i would worry about freeze.. in January ... and against the house.. you might be surprised how warm it is on a minor frosty night ....

is there a veg patch .... if so ... i would stick them in ASAP ... about 1 or 2 foot on square ... name it a nursery.. and be done with it for winter .. design and beds can wait until spring.. and summer ...

if not ... dig the smallest spot you can.. and just shove them in.. shoulder to shoulder ... and be done with it ...

i dont know what to tell you about the bulbs.. they really complicate the issue ... as they are mostly supposed to be growing roots to store energy for the spring push ... they can not be moved in spring.. if you want flower ... i might suggest potting in proper media ... and stowing them against the north foundation ... but that could be a real PIA.. when you have other things to do ...

good luck

ken

ps: if you could buy a load of wood chips and have it dumped... you could nestle them into it for winter.. like nurseries do ball and burlap... moisten it up well [the part with the plants] ... and just hold them over.. and then you can use the mulch come summer bed building.... but i would have it dumped in shade ...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

This should go well! I've done this many times, at various times of year. Plastic bags are a great way to transport. I'd leave the bags open so nothing mildews. Worked well for me for moving several times around Columbus, OH area, and then when moving plants from OH to AL. Bulbs can be shaken off and moved w/o dirt, in a bucket or empty pots.

Agree, putting on porch, maybe with a sheet over, would be good until you're able to finagle a holding spot as Ken suggested, or final planting spots. As long as sun doesn't shine right on them except maybe early in the AM or late PM. You don't want the bags of roots getting too hot from sunshine. I might choose garage if there is one and nobody minds.

A sharpie will write on a plastic bag, if you're afraid you'll forget what something is.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I often move plants in bags. If they are going to be in the bags for awhile I cut slits along the bottom sides for drainage. Sometimes they stay in the bags all summer and occasionally even longer. When you are ready to move the bags of plants they can be stuck into another bag without holes so they don't leak. Keep in mind that some plastic bags are meant to disintegrate over time, a mess to pick up all the tiny pieces. If you take a big amount of soil around the plant roots you shouldn't have to worry about the roots getting too hot or too cold at this time of year.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

If they are going to be in the bags for awhile I cut slits along the bottom sides for drainage.

==>> slit them.. AFTER the move... lol ...

ken

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really plan to nestle them into mother earth for the winter within a couple of weeks. I do try to not perpetuate cruelty to the vegetable kingdom :)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists