Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rust on Asters

Posted by whimsicalbee 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 15:27

Hello,

I just noticed that a new plant I recently purchased has alot of rust on the underside of the leaves (also mildew). I didn't see it when I bought the plant, so I went to look in the garden to see if other asters had it... and only an unknown dark purple one did. Does anyone know if this kind of rust overwinters or is it similar to daylily rust? I did have one new daylily with rust this year (H. 'Pardon Me') that I'm keeping away from the rest of the daylilies (no others infected) until next year. Maybe the daylily infected the asters?

I couldn't find any information as to rust hardiness, and weather I will have the same problem next year. If this is common with asters, I will just have to keep it out as I don't want to use any chemicals. Anyone have anymore information or advice on Aster Rust? I would really appreciate any help or comments, Thanks!! :)

*B*

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rust on Asters

the daylily rust (puccinia hemerocallidis) is not the same fungus as the aster rust. Your daylily rust is not believed to be able to survive your zone 5 ( but see information on the host plant) Google daylily rust and also aster rust for several execellent articles about spreading method and alternate hosts for spreading along with life cylce. While there may be more than what I was looking at just now, the main aster rust was coleosporium asterum.

o

My asters have rust. I've moved them twice, cut them to the ground, destroyed all old plant material, still rust. THey look terrible. So after the fourth year of rust I am giving up. Digging up all my asters and chucking them. And I am someone who moves "problem children" behind the barn or down to the pond. Not these guys. They're not even compost material.

o

Justmetoo- I found several rust names mentioned on the "Search results" I found while googling "Rust on Asters". Coleosporium asterum is definately what I have, I was just wondering if it overwintered here as that wasn't mentioned in the information I read. Looks like it does! :(

Gottagarden- Sorry about your asters! What variety do you have? The one I bought was 'Loke Viking' and it looks like it gets rust pretty bad. I have an unknown aster that starts out white and fades to a soft lilac color and has no rust. An unknown dark purple has a little rust but not so bad, this one also doesn't get much water so might be stressed as well. I noticed even my Malvas got rust!! ugh those are going out and staying out, didn't like their untidy look this year... and they reseeded everywhere! :O

I might give them a year in the garden and see how bad it looks...

o

I have several, Aster frikartii is the worst. Too bad, at my last house it was gorgeous, which is why I've been holding onto it for so long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here