Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uvularia grandiflora?

Posted by rouge21 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 15:31

Here and there I see reference to this shade plant.

For those of you that have this plant can you tell us more about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uvularia grandiflora?

The voles like it . . . :>(

o

It's a very unusual looking plant that likes moisture and like most spring plants disappears for the summer. Mine sowed itself--came down the creek--and I'm very fond of it.

o

Thanks 'lacey' for the info.

My problem is that nowhere in my area is any sufficient moisture.

As is often the case I may plant one as an experiment.

o

Boy, maybe this plant behaves differently in warmer parts of the country, but for sure mine doesn't disappear in summer. In fact, it has some really beautiful, yellow foliage in autumn.

When I grew it in bright shade, I grew it very dry - no supplemental water in summer and although it looked very tired by the end of summer, it was still present. This year I transplanted it to about 1/2 day morning sun and have watered regularly and it does seem much happier and looked much better the entire season.

The plant emerges very early in spring and the flowers are simply weird and wonderful. They don't last very long, but the foliage is nice all season. With time the clumps spread outward and can be very impressive. Yes, it does self-sow a bit and the babies are identical to their parents - very cute.

I think it's a "must have plant". This photo isn't the best, but it gives you an idea of the potential.

Kevin

o

I just planted a few of these this past spring and they certainly did not go dormant. Much like Kevin's experience, mine are just going dormant now.

o

Good picture Kevin.

Unusual flowers. It is now on my "to buy list of 2014".

(I see there are a few varieties Uvularia besides grandiflora i.e. "sessilifolia", and "sessilifolia" Cobbleswood Gold)

o

Uvularia sessilifolia grows wild in the woods around here, and a seed or two came along as a hitchhiker with a swap plant some years back and is now popping up in a woodland garden in the back yard. Pretty little thing.

U. grandiflora is a plant I covet and want to have it some day!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here