Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbard_gw

Hide foundation

kbard
11 years ago

I posted this pic a while back for help with identification because a wisteria used to be here which I killed (theoretically; haven't seen any recurrence in 2 months and the sticks are dead...). Now I need something to hide this foundation of the woodshop(garage below on right). I don't want any evergreen. While it would be a reasonable choice, the entire rest of the house is encircled by boxwoods and junipers and other evergreens.

I'm thinking some kind of annual grass like diamond grass, the foundations is about 3 feet high. Any other ideas? Partial shade

{{gwi:277841}}

Comments (5)

• kbard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I meant to say perennial grass

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

Which way is the wall with windows facing? Do you plan to fill the whole former-wisteria area with plants, or just a border against the right-hand foundation?

There are a lot of great grasses, native & otherwise, but some of them spread a little too easily, so you have to be careful when picking one for a smallish area.

• kbard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The windows face northeast. This is the back of the house. I have since cleared the weeds out, and this bed is about 7 feet from the dryer vent out to the edge of the triangular-ish bed. I would like some taller plants in an L-shape covering the foundation and the windows and would not mind hiding those windows too because both of those rooms have Windows on the other side. No matter what it's not a very big bed but I would like something tall in the back and something else lower in the front.

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

Does the area get almost no direct sun? One side of my house is like that - it gets a shot of sun along the edge in the early morning, and in mid-summer, when the sun is high, it gets a little more, but right by the house, there is no direct sun at all. Which is why it's full of hostas and ferns. I don't know if there would be enough sun in your corner for many of the grasses.

Your soil looks good, and you've got a spigot right there, so perhaps you could think about putting an oak-leaf hydrangea in there for your big plant, perhaps in front of the window by the corner. They are hardy in our zone 6, and are beautiful all year - my neighbor has a couple in a corner much like yours and they are gorgeous - flowers, great fall coloring, and tough - much more architectural in appearance than the macrophylla hyrangeas (you know, the Mother's Day ones). They do get large if you don't prune them back every year or so, but that would be all to the good.

If you want to avoid shrubs of any kind there, you could get some of the really big ferns, like Royal Fern or Cinnamon Fern (that's what I've got with my hostas) - they get to be 4 feet or so and look quite Jurassic - and fill out the lower bed with smaller ferns, hostas, or other small shade-tolerant plants.

Whatever you decide, I do envy you having a blank slate - have fun filling it up!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

is that a dryer vent.. ??? .. whats the patio stone on the left ...

i think you need to build a retaining wall .. just a couple bricks deep ... ... to reduce the hill.. add some good soil.. make it about 5 feet out from the house and around the corner .. and then figure out what you want to do across the woodshop ..

THEN FIGURE OUT WHAT TO PLANT ....

ken ...

ps: spring will tell you if you killed the wisteria or whatever it was ...