Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Hardy Geranium

I am not sure if this is "Azure Rush" or "Havana Blues" geranium but this picture was taken today. Just like "Rozanne" it is still in good bloom. It was trimmed back a month or so ago. It begins to bloom well after "Rozanne" starts (which is usually around the first week of July for me).

{{gwi:277905}}

Anyone else have hardy geraniums still in bloom (besides that ubiquitous "Rozanne")?

Comments (9)

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I planted 3 last fall and had only about 5 blooms on one of them this spring. No idea what is wrong with them.

• catkin
    9 years ago

That's gorgeous, rouge! I love hardy Geraniums and of course, need more of them!

I have an 'Ann Folkard' (love) with a few blooms on her.

I also a pink variety hanging in there with a couple. I think it may be Geranium endressii but I'm not sure. It's in deep shade and blooms its heart out for a long time. This plant is long lived. Some of the blooms have a deeper pink veining while others are almost a warm, solid, silvery pink color.

Next year, I will try cutting these and my others back in hopes of a stronger re-bloom.

• User
    9 years ago

A few are still going strong. A rather lovely South African Silver Cloak or Rambling Robin (not sure which) is pristine, with lots of fine silvery foliage. The ubiquitous sanguineums are still throwing the odd flower, as is nodosum, Mavis Simpson and Russel Pritchard (I really like these scrambling riversleanums) and Red Admiral, although not producing any blooms, has enormous fresh leaves, almost maderense looking. Orion has just finished a final flush and is looking a tad mildewy while pratense types still have a few deep blue flowers. The tiny flowered pyrenaicums are still throwing out flowers - I have a lovely white 'snowstorm' one from seed which lights up shady places beneath the roses, as well as the common maccrorhizum 'White Ness' - a lovely pure white with green stamens....and of course, the weedy G.mollis and lucidum are going strong,The related erodiums are also doing well, with the pale yellow chrysantha blooming sporadically and an unknown pink.
    I have faithfully followed the late Marjory Fish's exhortation - when in doubt, plant a hardy geranium....and have a large collection in various growth stages from seed including erianthemum, platystemum and soboliferum, all from Plantworld seeds.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

My "Ballerina" is still blooming.
    {{gwi:277909}}

{{gwi:277911}}

{{gwi:277914}}

• paul_
    9 years ago

Lovely capture on that first photo, Rouge!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

I have lots of "Biokovo", which does not rebloom but sure is a great little groundcover. I adore G. magnificum; they didn't bloom for me this year, though, because they were uprooted and then re-planted after the patio re-build and didn't get into the ground until late fall - they probably were re-establishing this year. Foliage on them looked healthy and they put on good growth, so I'm not worried about it -- they'll be back for the show next June :0)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

I have lots of "Biokovo", which does not rebloom but sure is a great little groundcover. I adore G. magnificum; they didn't bloom for me this year, though, because they were uprooted and then re-planted after the patio re-build and didn't get into the ground until late fall - they probably were re-establishing this year. Foliage on them looked healthy and they put on good growth, so I'm not worried about it -- they'll be back for the show next June :0)

• eirl
    9 years ago

I am a Hardy Geranium addict here in Ireland.! One that I got within the last couple of years is GERANIUM SCHLECKTERI ; this is an amazing one flowers all Summer long, lovely soft greyish foliage which is still looking great at this time of year.
    I wonder if there is a dedicated forum for Hardy Geraniums anywhere ? I was thinking of setting up a Facebook page about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: A small Irish garden

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

eirl. I have not heard of SCHLECKTERI. What is its zone hardiness? Any pictures you can share?

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21