Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helenium Mardi Gras

Posted by miclino 5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 16:37

Have a stand of underperforming Rudbeckia early bird gold that will be moving. It is placed behind a boxwood hedge that only gets 1.5 ft high and still the Rudbeckia barely peeks over the top. The spot gets sun till about 2pm and is a raised bed.

I wanted to plant Helenium in the spot and was thinking of Mardi Gras based on reviews. Behind it would be Double knockout rose shrub. I don't worry about flopping as it could lean on the boxwoods and I could also stake if needed. Only problem is would it get too tall for the spot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helenium Mardi Gras

Great choice with the Mardi Gras, it is a blooming machine. You mean, will it block the KO rose in back? How big is the rose? My KO rose has never gotten much bigger than two and a half feet tall or so, due to all the winter dieback. My Mardi Gras Helenium gets around three feet tall, maybe a smidge more. If your KO is under four feet I would say it would probably be blocked by the Helenium (which has never fopped for me btw).
Hope this helps ;-)
CMK

o

The KO roses are young, still only 2 feet tall. Although I don't usually see dieback on other roses I have in backyard. That being said, perhaps I should move the KO roses to the front and the Helenium to the back? It looks like it only flowers on the top anyway right?

Do you pinch for height control and still get 3ft tall?

o

I don't pinch my Mardi Gras, it naturally gets three feet tall or a bit more. Yes, it is only the top most part that blooms.

Hummm...it is really hard to say. Most roses over here have a ton of dieback, so many never reach their full potential. I looked online and double knockouts are said to get 3-4 feet around. That is cutting it close since that is about the same height as the Helenium. Since you don't get a lot of winter dieback you might expect the rose to get four feet, but again I am not one hundred percent sure.

Sorry I couldn't give you any pat answer ;-(
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here