Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Great fall foliage on a perennial

I saw this as part of a large garden of a live theatre yesterday. It is "Euphorbia griffithii" (FIREGLOW)

How about posting pictures from your garden highlighting the wonderful Autumn foliage of some of your herbaceous perennials.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 9:00

Comments (12)

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

rouge, i think you're mixing up Euphorbia with Poinsettia.
    ho ho ho, just joshin' ya' ! wow, that is some amazing red!
    mindy

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Wow! That's one firecracker of a plant!

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

It is pretty, but will you be dealing with a headache when it pops up everywhere in your garden later?

I am not familiar with that particular Euphorbia, but I planted two different Euphorbia that spread so fast I still regret it to these days. Euphorbia cyparisias spreads by stolon and seeds. Euphorbia polychroma reseeds like there is no tomorrow. Both are beautiful in spring and bridge the gap between spring bulbs and most perennials.

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

E. cyparisius Fen's Ruby
    http://www.paghat.com/wolfsmilk.html

has long been a fav of mine and it does spread but , for me, does not take over. I actually wish it would. LOVE it. Does no one grow Bog Rosemary? Brilliant blue fall flowers, crimson foliage. Not hardy for us; we wasted our $ on it long ago.
    mindy

• catkin
    9 years ago

I enjoy Euphorbias!

Pitim~My polychromas have never seeded in almost twenty years--I love them! They are little beacons (three plants) in Spring--one of my harbingers.

I just planted 'Ascot Rainbow'--hope it doesn't take over, so far there is no bloom. Also just planted wulfenii.

I have 'Excalibur' and think it is gorgeous!

I'm on the lookout for 'Dixter' or 'Fireglow'!

Thanks for sharing Rouge.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Rouge, that Euphorbia griffithii is gorgeous, I have a couple of different Euphorbias but nothing as colorful as yours.
    I bought this one as 'Fen's Ruby' but don't think it is as it doesn't have the reddish tint to it's foliage, here's a pic of it mixed in with 'Purple Torch' Ajuga, I thought it made a nice combination although some people don't like pinks and yellows together :). I have another that does have the reddish foliage but it was bought as something else, I lost the tag but it had 'Wools' or something similar in it's name.
    Annette

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 2:05

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

aftermidnight, I LOVE your photo and the combination of pink and yellow is a favorite of mine!

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

My perennial hibiscus is putting on a lovely show of brilliant yellow this fall--it's lighting up the garden! Overall, It's been a spectacular year for autumn color I think. The best in years.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

I love that Euphorbia. IâÂÂve tried two of them and they didnâÂÂt make it through winter. IâÂÂd love to grow them too.

If only youâÂÂd asked last weekâ¦lolâ¦.my 'Kopper King' Hibiscus had great orange and gold foliage, but most of them have dropped now.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a wonderful picture Annette.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Thanks Rouge, although it's not a fall colour picture I was hoping someone might know which one this euphorbia might be as it doesn't have the red tinged needles. I just pulled this little bed apart and relocated my bush clover there, underplanted with 'Phuopsis stylosa' and some english bluebells. The ajuga and euphorbia are being moved to a narrow strip down our gravel driveway where they can duke it out :).

Annette

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

Just charming, annette. must look for that ppl tower Ajuga.
    mindy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!