Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over-wintering 'Blacky Sweet Potato Vine'

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 17:29

Does anybody do this? I love the way it works as a ground cover in areas that are bare --- so easy to snip off so it won't smother anything important. In the spring I bought one little pot and was able to make ground cover for several areas. Because I don't drive and don't normally buy nursery plants, I want to over-winter this.

I put several 'snips' in water and then potted them up. Will they last over the winter? If I dig up the clumps that are in the ground will I find little potatoes that I can save to plant? (BTW, it did flower (cute little guys but hard to see) so I am hoping for little potatoes to save and plant in areas where I need the cover.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over-wintering 'Blacky Sweet Potato Vine'

I have stored the sweet potato tubers from ornamental plants in a cool basement closet. In spring, I planted it and it grew fine.

o

As nhbabs says, it's just like any other sweet-potato. Dig up the tubers after frost, and store them till spring, then you can restart several plants from each. Just check out how you would ordinarily start up rooted SP starts and they do fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: starting sweet-potato slips

o

The cuttings begin rooting the day after they are put in water!!! Amazing how the plant wants so badly to reproduce. I was going to dig up my big clump to look for tubers this week but it is so pretty I don't want to kill it yet.

I think after the first light frost has wilted the leaves I will do the digging.

o

i swear i spent 20 minutes typing you an answer.. where is it???

did you post this elsewhere??

that or someone is very confused at the answer i gave them.. lol ...

ken

o

Definately try digging the roots too! It's fun to find the potatoes and see how many you get ! I've never had luck with the cuttings over winter, they seem to just hate the cool windowsills around here and end up dying a slow death. Even the roots seem to like warmer drier storage conditions than other root type things, definately a hot weather plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here